| 15. A LUCKY WISH

BOOK TWO
CHAPTER FIFTEEN

( A LUCKY WISH )

     COREY SCANNED THE HALL with diligent eyes, but fear in his mind. His hand gripped onto mine reassuringly. Whatever was going to happen next was not going to be good for everyone else too looked anxious in all the different ways possible. The only people trying to smile were Finnick and the Careers. Everyone else was in permanent shock that something, or rather someone, was going to take them away.

     We all held onto our seats with anger; I especially so. I wasn't yet sure if it was anger at Haymitch or anger at something else entirely, but one way or another I was definitely ready to pick up a knife again and release some that had been building up. My legs twitched in anticipation, although I would have to wait for nineteen other people to take their turn before I could.

     For some reason I was rather excited to do my private scored training. I found the thrill of being watched enticing somehow. The room wouldn't test my strength, but only my persistence. I guessed that I valued myself as a persistent person to some degree – maybe not emotionally, but physically. I hadn't a day since my first trip to the Capitol fallen in sickness or disease like many of the residents of District Ten would. Hopefully my immune system would show up to perform in the Quarter Quell, then my chance of survival would dramatically increase. Perhaps I could go home then, if luck decided to show up too.

     The room's capacity of people had slowly grown thin. Johanna had been called up a little while ago and had not returned. The novelty of waiting long in the standby room had worn off too. Now everyone left truthfully looked tired and conversation had grown scarcely unavailable. Everyone was either too exhausted or bored to talk during the long waiting hours whilst everyone else took their turn in the training room. My optimism had also disappeared off into the distance, and being stuck in a colourless box for the last few hours didn't tempt it to return either.

     "District Ten. Corey Hayden. Report for individual assessment."

     Before long, Corey turned to stand from our shared seat. He smiled at me momentarily before I wished him luck. As he walked away I spotted that his posture was slouched in nervousness. I really wanted to go up and hug him, but I could feel Katniss' stare burning on my back already. Therefore, I didn't bother to move another muscle nor turn around and confront her because I couldn't possibly start more drama now.

      A strange sense overwhelmed me the day before, when Bradley, Corey, and Haymitch sat down with straight faces and told me that she was in fact the Mockingjay. I'd kind of half expected it, to be honest. Of course the special one would be Katniss. Of course it had to be her.