Chapter 9- Confidents

Isabella

    ‘He kissed me’ was all I could think about. I felt as if my insides were light as a feather and I could just float on air. I couldn’t wipe away the huge smile that laid on my face. I didn’t even bother changing out of the servants outfit before I went to meet father. It was getting dark and most people would be in the great hall eating. I suppose I should be with them but I was too happy to even think about anything else. I couldn't care if I did not make an appearance. As I went to my father’s room, I was passed by no one. I gave a quiet knock before I went in.

     “My darling daughter I knew it was you. Come here child and tell me of your day.” father said in his raspy voice. He looked no better than yesterday but I suppose he was no worse either. I did like too see a smile on father’s face though for a change of spirits.

    I went to kneel by my father’s sick bed. I gently kissed his cold boney hand before I talked over my day but spared the details to the kiss. When I was finished, without realizing it, let out a happy sigh. Father smiled at me  “You like him a lot don’t you.”

    I looked into father’s eye “Oh yes very much so but I fear soon he will not love me.”

    He looked perplex “And why is that my dear?”

     “He doesn’t know my identity. He has no idea I am the Princess and that is why I left the library in such a hast. If mother was to find out  and reveal who I am then he will be upset and never wish to speak to me again.” I pointed out.

    Father nodded his head ever so slightly before he spoke “He could never stop loving you no one in their right state of mind could do such a thing to you.”

     “How can you be sure father?”

     He looked at me with a serious face “Because my darling, before I was confined to this bed I would watch over you. Being king isn’t my most important job, 2 jobs are more important than being a king and those jobs are being a good husband and an even better father. I watched every man turn and stare when you entered a room or walked down a hall. You are very beautiful Isabella and even a blind man can see that. You seemed not to have taken note of it or even of the men who watch you. To you this is normal but you found one man who stuck out from all the rest. Yes it is a valid point that he does need to be aware of your true title but you need to tell him.”

     He was right and I knew it. “I will father.” was all I replied. I noticed that father was getting tired because his eyelids began to slide shut. I wish him a good night and started to head for the door.

     Before I could reach the door, father called out to me in his weak voice, “Would you be so kind as to come back again tomorrow? I enjoy are talked and would love to use as much time with you as I can.”

     I could feel the tears rolling down my face. I wished not to trouble father by him seeing the tears so I just called out over her shoulder “There is nothing that would make me happier. I love you father.” Then I slipped through the door.

*~*~*

    The next 4 days were very similar. I would  wake up and go have tea with mother then sneak off to see John. I would bring food to John out behind the stables. I always got a sly smile and a mocking bow each time I passed James. The only reply I gave him was to roll my eyes and stick my tongue out, which always cause James to bend over in laughter. John and I would sit out behind the stables and talk through the day. My favorite part was always at the end of the night when John would give me a farewell kiss. As much as I loved the kiss, it would make me feel more and more guilty. I knew that sooner or later I would have to tell him the truth before he figures it out for himself. After I would spend the day with John, the next thing I would do is I would go visit father. He showed me love and support on the matter.