Chapter One

Chapter One

Just Another Bad Day

The slightly dim and jittery florescent light of a normal public school beat down on Richard Dawson's head like a hammer. A migraine had already taken root at the base of his spine and he hid his eyes from the horribly fake light to save himself from pain by laying his head on his desk and wrapping his arms around it. It wasn't working very well and he wished he could be at his apartment instead of having to sit in a class full of idiots and listen to a teacher who was way past his prime drone on and on about something that happened in history hundreds of years ago.

The final class of the day was slowly coming to an end and he counted the minutes in his head, wishing for the millionth time that day that he had the power to control time like people did in movies and books. It would make his life so much easier and he could just skip over everything he didn't like. Actually, scratch that; he would rather have the power to turn himself invisible. That way he could just avoid other people and live his life in peace and quiet.

Yeah, that's what he really wanted. Too bad it was never going to happen, he could really use it. His entire life had been one big pro bullying commercial and he was honestly tired of it. It wasn't just the people in his class or school that picked on him either. No, even people he had never met before took time out of their lives to bully him like it was second nature. His parents, classmates, teachers, and even random strangers on the street did whatever they could to make his life a living hell.

It had been like this for as long as he could remember and he honestly had no idea what he did to incur the wrath of so many people. Was there a flier handed out to everyone in the city that had his picture on it with a target over his face? His earliest memory was actually of him being bullied and sometimes he still had nightmares about it. Having your own mother lock you outside for four hours when you were barely four years old would do that to a person though.

Even though some pretty bad things had been done to him, Richard still managed to find a silver lining in the storm clouds that circled his existence; no one ever beat him up. Then again that wasn't entirely true as he did get hit almost every day, but it was never super hard or more than once or twice in a row. Usually it was done when he wasn't looking or someone would trip him as he walked down the hall. He honestly could live with that. For the most part anyways. There had been three occasions where he had been physically harmed pretty badly, but they had all been done by his parents.

"Dick!" his teacher suddenly yelled loudly and slammed something heavy onto his run down wooden desk at the front of the class.

Pulled from his own thoughts, Richard shot up in his chair and looked out at his ancient teacher who glared at him angrily. A vein was actually popping out on his forehead and it made the old man look comical, but Richard stifled his giggles in fear of getting punished more than he already had been today. The rest of the class had also turned to look at him with disgusting sneers on their faces and a gleeful look in their eyes. The one thing that seemed to cheer up a rowdy and bored group of teenage students was watching him get chewed out for one thing or another.

"Yes, sir?" he asked, really not sure what he had done this time. Not ten minutes ago he had been yelled at for chewing on the end of his pen cap; like it really effected anyone but him.