Chapter 8

On the way to the parking lot, we passed Gisele and the twins. They’d all changed for the party, and I had to admit they looked nice. The twins both had on matching dresses, only in different colors. One was red and the other was blue. The dresses were short and tight, and I couldn’t see how they could even move, let alone walk in them. Both of the girls’ shoes were black with the straps twisting up their calves. Gisele had on a pair of knee high boots, a mini skit and a sweater. She looked beautiful! Her long curly hair flowed down her back, and her makeup was flawless.

“Make sure you save me a dance, Isaiah.” She winked at him as we passed by. The twins giggled then both mouthed sorry to me behind Gisele’s back. I knew then that I’d never understand teenage girls, even though I was one. Isaiah opened the car door for me and I got in.

We were silent for most of the ride to Bianca’s house. I don’t know what Isaiah was thinking about, but I was thinking about relationships. As if I’d wished it, Eric called my phone. Zay looked over at me when I didn’t answer the call. Soon enough it stopped ringing, only to start again. This time, I sent it to voicemail.

“Everything okay, Jazzy?” Isaiah asked.

“Yeah, just ready to have some fun.” I laughed nervously. He pulled over at a Valero to get gas. When he walked into the store, my phone rang again. I figured I might as well get this over with before Eric ruined my night.

“What do you want, Eric?” I answered the phone.

“Damn, Jazz, is that any way to answer the phone?” He chuckled on the other end.

“It’s my phone, so I’ll answer it how I like. Be glad I answered at all! Now, what do you want?” I asked again.

“I was just calling to see how you were.”

“I’m great, now bye!” I quickly responded.

“Wait, Jazz! Don’t do me like that. I miss you!”

“Eric, didn’t you say you were moving on?” I was completely confused. Didn’t he want someone “grown up”?

“Didn’t I tell you that I loved you? You can’t let one little argument make you think that has changed any.” He said seriously.

“Um, I don’t know what to say.” I responded honestly.

“Say that none of the other stuff matters. Say that you still love me.”

“I do. Of course, I still love you, Eric, but is that enough?” 

“It’s enough for me, Jazz.”

“I need to think about this, Eric?” I said hesitantly.

“What is there to think about, Jasmine?” He asked impatiently.

“If it’s enough for me!” We both just held the phone for a moment. “If you really love me, you’ll understand and give me the time I’m asking for.” I said, breaking the silence.

“You’re right. I guess, just call me when you make up your mind.” He didn’t wait for a response before hanging up. I sat there staring at the phone. I was so deep in thought that Isaiah scared me when he opened the door to get in.

“What’s wrong?” He asked.

“Nothing.”

“What’s on your mind, Jazzy?” He asked again.

“I was just thinking about relationships. Take you and Gisele for example. She broke up with you, but every time I look up, she’s all over you. Why do people do that type of stuff?”