Chapter 18

When I got to the police station, everyone was assembled in some sort of cold dismal back holding room. Jackson was seated in one of those painfully hard metal folding chairs, elbows propped on the table with his head in his hands. Mom, Grandma, and Aunt Jackie were all standing behind him, their war faces ready and ravenous.

            “What happened?” I asked. My mother came to stand beside me a terrifying expression plastered on her face.

            “They said they’re charging him for the murder.” She answered. “We’re looking into getting a lawyer.”

            I turned my attention toward my dispirited cousin. “Don’t even worry about that. I’ll get you the best lawyer there is.”

            He tried to give me a hopeful smile, but the hours of interrogation and prospect of reentering prison had left him ashen and hollow.

            “Cops always trying to put everybody in jail.” My grandmother snorted. “This is some ol’ bullshit!”

            “Mama!”

            “Well, it is.”

            My Grandma Sophie had been a hellcat back in the day. Now as a seventy-eight year old woman she wasn’t any less spirited. Most weekends Grandma would go on drinking benders that lasted from sun up to sun down and still have the energy to get up Sunday morning to go praise Jesus. If there’s one thing the family knows about Grandma Sophie, it’s that she’s one mean drunk. Scratch that, she’s mean sober, sinning, or sleeping.

            “You are far too old to be talking like that.”

            “I’ll talk anyway I goddamn please, Regina.” She adjusted the large curly wig on her head.

            “I’m just concerned about your blood pressure is all.”

“Forget about my blood pressure!” She scoffed. “And hells bells did you hear the way that pretty boy detective talked to me?! I got bottles of whisky older than that little punk. Where’s he at anyway? I’m ready for round two.”

            “Alright,” I said, stepping in to attempt to keep everyone calm. “Jackson, no matter what it takes you are not going back to jail. Promise. I’ll be back.”

            “Where you going?”

            “To have a talk with our friendly neighborhood detective.” Grandma Sophie didn’t miss a beat.

            “Want me to come with you, rough him up a little? If you need me to start taking care of business you know I am all down for that shit.”

            “Uh…That’s okay, Grandma, I think I can handle this one on my own.”

            “Okay. Just holler if you need me.”

            I walked out of the room and stormed to the front, madder than I’d ever been. Damn the man! The front lobby of the station was as busy as ever, even though it was eleven thirty at night. I guess crime doesn’t take a break, even late at night. I looked over towards Manny’s office and saw him in conversation with a uniform.

            His eyes caught mine and he gestured to me to follow him into his office, not even trying to avoid me or escape the tongue lashing he knew was on the way. He led me in and had me sit in one of the chairs across from his.

            “How could you?”

            “Evie look, I’m sorry but it’s my job.”