Untamable Love [Cato Hunger Games Love Story]

A/N - Yes, this is a Cato Hadley love story! I had to post this because I've been so excited! Enjoy!

I ran a brush through my hair again and again until my hair fell in a brown silky curtain; it tickled the bare skin of my shoulders.

I put on some of the makeup that Mum had laid out for me; I took extra care with it seen as I hardly ever wore it - unlike all the other girls in District Two. I made sure I didn't poke myself in the eye with the mascara; it was practically a lethal weapon. The green of my eyes stood out boldly against my new thick and dark eyelashes. I didn't like makeup, but I knew Mum would put it on me herself if I didn't - and she would go all out.

I set the brush down and let my hands fall to my sides. I stared into the mirror. My glossy lips were set in a straight line, my face was expressionless and my eyes were two dead holes. I didn’t sleep at all last night, I had been tossing and turning all night, I didn’t understand how anyone could sleep the night before the Reaping.

 Slowly I looked down at the dress I was wearing; it was pale pink with a silk ribbon that tied around my waist. Mum had brought it for me the other day. In District Two we had special treatment from the Capital - I hated it. Unlike all of District Two, I hated the games. They terrified me – I know, I sound like a coward, but I’m just honest.

I was barley sixteen and if I got chosen I would be forced into an arena where I would have to kill twenty five other tributes. No one should have the power to decide who lived or died – not even the Capital. The Capital even had the cheek to send back the bodies of the fallen tributes to their districts. They would claim that their child died in honour – it made me sick.

My ears began ringing and the room span around me. I tried to take steady breaths but it was too late, fluid was appearing in my mouth and my stomach was jolting up and down. I ran to the bathroom and retched. I opened the window and breathed in deep short breaths. I had been having nightmares about this day for weeks. Today was the day of the Reaping, the day where one boy and one girl from the ages of twelve to eighteen will be chosen to participate in the 74th annual Hunger Games.

In my district it was an honour to be chosen. Nearly every year someone would always volunteer. It was common here in District Two, people raised their children to become killers, monsters. My parents had made me train since I was eight. For eight years I had been taught how to wrestle, throw knifes and spears, how to wield a sword and handle a bow.

My parents want my name to be chosen today, they want me to bring glory to the family name. My parents were Peace Keepers – which meant they worshipped the Capital. if I told them I didn't approve of the games, they would probably cut out my tongue and turn me into a Avox.

"Honey! We’re home!" I heard Mum call from downstairs. I quickly ran back to my room, I didn't want them to know I had been sick, it would be seen as a sign of weakness. "Where are you?"

"Up here," I managed to yell; I quickly grabbed the brush and ran it through my hair again, acting as if I had been doing that the whole time.

"Ah, don't you look lovely," Mum beamed as she walked into the room. I noticed she had a small shopping bag in her hands. "I know your father is going to be so proud! You grow more and more beautiful every time I see you.”

I ignored her compliment and instead asked, “What’s in the bag?"

"It’s going to be your token if you get chosen," Mum said cheerfully. She handed me the bag with a huge smile on her face. “Open it! I can’t wait to see your face!”

I opened the bag and pulled out the most beautiful necklace I had ever seen. It was sterling silver surrounded by beautiful jade gemstones. The necklace was heavy in my hands, the metal cold and comforting against my palm.