Chapter 1 - Tuning System

Chapter One

Tuning System

“Are you even listening to me, Sophie?”

She shook in her seat as Bob’s fists hit his desk.

“Y-yes, Bob, of course I’m listening.”

“Are you sure? Because you sure as hell don’t look like it! How many times have I told you that I wouldn’t tolerate any more lateness from you?”

“I’m sorry, I lost the bus. I already explained that-“

“And I already explained to you that I really don’t care”

“B-but, what else could I do? The last class took longer than usual and I didn’t get to the bus-stop on time and then the next bus was late and I asked my brother to come and give me a lift, but he wouldn’t take the call, and then when he did take it, he said he was too busy with a school project, which I know for a fact it’s a lie, and when the other bus finally came there was a lot of traffic because one lady thought it was just great if she-“

“Enough. Please, stop talking!”

“But I’m just trying to explain that it wasn’t my fault, how was I supposed to-“

“Let’s try this again: I. Don’t. Care!” Bob had a cynical smile under his mustache and used a low, threatening voice. “Ask for a ride, get a cab, get a bicycle, grow a pair of wings, buy a horse, I don’t care! What I do care is that you are late at least once a week. What I do care is that you constantly forget things and misplace others. And I certainly do care that you purposely just spilled a whole bottle of beer on top of a paying customer!” At this point, Sophie could swear Bob’s cholesterol-filled arteries would explode right out of his forehead.

“But, Bob, he groped me! And when I demanded respect from him, he groped me again!

Bob sighed heavily and brought his hands to his forehead. “Why? Why?

“I don’t know, probably because he’s a dirty pervert. I mean, my butt is not even that great, Roxanne’s definitely better and I do think that the shorts of our uniform make it look rather-“

“Sophie, would you just shut up. I’m trying to fire you and it’s really hard to do it when you just keep talking.”

There was silence for a few moments, until Sophie finally closed her mouth and meekly repeated seconds later, “F-fired? I’m fired? You’re firing me?”

“Well, this can’t come as that much of a surprise, can it?”

“B-but, Bob, I really need this job. Please-“

“I’m sorry, Sophie,” he interrupted, calmer than before, “but I just can’t keep you after the whole beer fiasco. We had to give the guy free meals just to keep him from reporting it.”

Sophie took a deep breath and sank her face into the desk with a loud thud.

“Tell you what,” Bob said, “in honor of my friendship with your father, I won’t report any of this to your future employers, if they call to ask why you were fired.”

Acknowledging defeat, Sophie thanked Bob and left the restaurant, wondering where she could find a high enough bridge to jump out of. Then she remembered that her mother would probably kill her anyway, so there was really no need for that.

Walking as slowly as humanly possible, Sophie made her way home on foot. She felt like a failure. Though her parents had never asked her to work, Sophie insisted on having a job. She couldn’t just stand and do nothing while her father worked from early morning until late night. Now, as she returned home, she knew she would have to find another part-time with urgency, before John decided to take another one himself.