Chapter 1 - Change

Vivianna's phone vibrated loudly against the firm wood of her bedside cabinet, making her jump slightly. Reaching over to grab it, she stubbed out her cigarette against the wall. She took a quick glance at the caller ID, and groaned slightly when she saw it was her mother. After quickly contemplating whether to answer, she pressed the green button and bought the phone to her ear.

"Why do you have to be like this, V?" she asked, her tone a mixture of disappointment and exhaustion.

"What did I do this time?" she asked, although she had a pretty good idea.

"What did you do?! Tell me, did you shoplift a pair of $600 shoes?" she asked pitifully, a hint of her Honduran accent creeping through.

"I may have shoplifted a pair of $600 shoes." Vivianna replied, choking down a laugh.

"Do you think this shit is funny, Vivianna? No matter what we do, you always act out! We are the only reason you are not in juvenile detention right now! We can't get you out of any more of these situations."

"Okay sure, what are you going to do, ground me?" she said sarcastically.

"I'm on my way back from Kentucky right now, and we will discuss your punishment further then." and with that, she hung up.

There was no way of putting it lightly, the Arden-Cardinals were rich. Vivianna's mother was CEO of a major game producing company, and her father was the most well respected lawyer in South Dakota. Most 17 year-olds would kill to be in her position, but they just didn't get it. Her father worked from 7 in the morning until God knows what time at night, so she never saw him, and her mother was always at a meeting in some other state or country. Vivianna was stuck on her own, in Rapid City, and it gave her the freedom to do whatever she wanted.

She stood up and walked to her mirror, with the intention of checking her makeup. Upon seeing herself, she smiled. She looked good when she smiled. Her beauty was something that was hard to replicate. With her mother being Hispanic, she obtained a natural olive skin tone, which complimented her long, dark curly hair perfectly. She inherited her green eyes from her father, however, who's family dated back centuries in South Dakota. At that particular moment she was wearing a strappy black bralette with leather pants.

Her mother must have gotten back whilst she was sleeping, because by the time she went down for breakfast, her parents were sitting waiting for her. She slowed her walking, as her father would not be home unless it was very important. Antonia, her mother, was a tall Latina woman with a short silky bob, a similar color to Vivianna's hair, and striking beauty, whilst her father was broad shoulders and hints of gray in his light brown hair.

"You'd better sit down, love." her father told her with a sad smile, gesturing to the seat in opposite them. Vivianna just stayed where she was, confused and still groggy from waking up just moments ago. Her father sighed as her mother began to speak.

"Your father and I have had a good long chat with your Aunt Pippa, and we think it's best if you go and live with her and Grace for a little while."

"What?!" Vivianna felt a tear run down her left cheek.

"Love, we just think you'd be better off in Canada."

[ Hi, so I know this is a tiny part, but the first 2 or three chapters will be quite short because they're just setting the scene ! Love you all x ]