Resurrection

Chiyoda, Tokyo  Mori Amaterasu 

She was walking through the forest, stopping to look at a meijiro perched on a tree. It was her favorite type of bird. Adjusting the sketchbook in her hand, she began to draw the ruffled feathers of the bird, entranced by its beautiful, white eyes. She felt a tug on her wrist, followed by incessant barking that scared away the bird, fleeing at the abrupt, foreign sound.

"Aw, Kazuki," Amaterasu whined as her dog dragged her over to some new part of the forest. She'd never been to this forest before. At least she didn't think so. She tried to go to as many different places as possible, always seeking new subjects to draw.

Her dog ran up to a tree, lifting up its leg to urinate, but changing its mind at the last second, instead deciding to dig up a spot right in front of the tree.

"Better digging up here than in the yard, I guess." Amaterasu shrugged as her shiba inu continued to scratch at the dirt. Soon after that, the sound of claws against dirt was replaced by the earsplitting screech of metal being scratched against.

"Hey, hey, enough!" said Amaterasu, jerking on Kazuki's leash and pulling him back. Curious, she closed her sketchbook, placed it on the ground and tucked her pencil into her hair like she always did. Amaterasu walked over to the hole Kazuki had dug and reached in, pulling out a small, metal box that was slightly smaller than the size of her sketchbook.

"What the heck is this?" she wondered, looking the now scratched case over curiously.

There was nothing on it that would identify who it belonged to or for what it was used. No writing, no inscription, no stickers or other sort of label. Her curiosity getting the better of her, Amaterasu pried open the lid of the metal box, which proved to be rather difficult, seeing as it was very nearly rusted shut, but she managed to get it open, only to find a leather-bound, black notebook.

She opened the notebook and skimmed through the pages. A page or two was filled in with what seemed to be names of various ethnicities. The last name that had been written in the book appeared to be in English, and while she was no expert in the language, she was able to decipher it: L Lawliet.

Most people probably would have thrown it away, but Amaterasu wasn't most people. She used her boot to push the dirt her dog had dug up back into the hall so that no one would fall into it and then put the notebook back into its metal case, grabbed her sketchbook and continued with her walk until she got home.

Later that day, she looked up some of the names that were written in the notebook online. No results came up for "L Lawliet," but the name before that, "Quillsh Wammy," rewarded her with a plethora of information. Quillsh Wammy had founded a chain of orphanages for extremely gifted children all over the world. In 2004, at the age of seventy-one, he died of a heart attack.

Amataresu continued to look up the names in the notebook, some coming up with more results than others. It didn't take long for her to notice a pattern; every person whose name was written down was dead, and the more she went back towards the beginning of the notebook, the greater the gap of their death dates.

"Taresu-chan?" came a familiar voice.

Amaterasu turned towards her door to see her roommate, still in her coat and purse, staring curiously at her.

"Oh, Azumi-chan," said Amaterasu. "You're home."

"Yeah," Azumi replied. "I noticed Kazuki was still inside, and I know you always put him outside before you go to bed, so I figured you were awake.
"What are you still doing up? Didn't you say you an interview tomorrow or something?"

"Oh, crap!" shouted Amaterasu. "What time is it?"

"I told you I would be home late," Azumi pointed out. "It's two in the morning."

"Oh no, oh no, oh no!" Amaterasu shouted as she got up and ran out of her room to let her dog out, running back in shortly after to brush her teeth and abruptly plop into bed.

Shinigami Realm

"You've got to be kidding me."

"Heheheh. Nope."

"Again? And so soon?"

"Yep."

"And I was just starting to get used to having you back."

"As long as it's not my notebook this time," said Sidoh, overhearing the conversation between Deridovely and his usual gambling partners, Ryuk and Gook. Sidoh quickly checked his side to make sure that he still had his Death Note, sighing in relief when he saw that it was still in his possession.

"What poor human gets to have you as its ugly pet for a while?" Zellogi inquired. He had been quite intrigued the last time he learned that Ryuk had gone to the human world to possess a human.

"Back to the game," Daril Ghiroza said to Zellogi.

"What, you're not even a little interested in this?" said Zellogi.

"I have no interest in the human world," Daril replied.

"Easy for her to say," Sidoh mumbled. "She's never had chocolate before."

"I'm out of here," Ryuk said, heading towards one of the portals to the human world as he unfolded his wings. "It's been too long since I've had an apple from the human world."

"Good riddance," said Kinddara, disliking having to deal with conversation or anything else that involved even the slightest amount of mental effort.

"Light was one of a kind, that's for sure," Ryuk noted as he flew down towards the human world. "I wonder what's in store for me this time."