Chapter 2

The plane landed in Verona Villafranca Airport around noon. We booked a private arrival transfer from the airport to our hotel so we won't spend extra time waiting for a taxi. We met the taxi driver holding the sign with our surname on it at the arrivals hall. We presented our travel vouchers to the driver and we got into the taxi enjoying a convenient, stress-free way to start our Italy vacation. We drove into the hotel with my sunglasses on, the window down and I felt the autumn chill in the air on my face.

My siblings and I arrived at the hotel where we will be staying for two weeks. Verona was still fairly sunny; summer was trying to desperately hold on.

Our hotel was just next to Casa di Giulietta or Juliet's house where the Capulet is said to have lived. The rooms were luxuriously decorated with beautiful furniture and adorned with antique rugs, magnificent drapes and art objects. It was a lovely refuge that offered a singular view of Verona from an attic terrace. From there, you can admire the town while in an intimate and private environment. What made it more romantic for some people is that this historical house is situated just opposite Juliet's Balcony.

Each room had a wall-mounted 60-inch advanced touch screen TV. But the best thing about it is the Wi-Fi connection! That completed the image of a truly magical stay, in my opinion.

"Wow, this place is awesome," exclaimed Renee, Gin's fiancée. "Everything here in Verona is so romantic, I would love to get married here someday as well."

Gin came near and kissed her. "Baby, wherever you want."

That's disgusting. Why the hell are they making out in front of me? Seriously? Nobody wants to see them having a tongue fight.

"Oh gross, get a room you guys!" I said.

Ken passed by the door carrying some of our luggage. When he saw the two lovebirds, he said. "Do you two ever stop? Scotch might see what you're doing."

Gin finally stopped kissing Renee who looked annoyed at me.

I rolled my eyes and looked at her as if asking what?!

I like her but yet again another brother was being taken from me. They better be warned what awaits them.

My phone rang. It was Carl.

"Hey Brands, how was your trip?"

"Boring and ass-soring," I answered in a sarcastic tone.

"Oh come on don't give me that pout, baby sister. I can see your lips from here," he teased, laughing on the other line.

"Are you calling just to remind me that this is going to be your wedding and I'm going to wear a very beautiful dress on Friday?"

Carl laughed. "Relax you still have three more days to prepare yourself. You will look the most beautiful Snow White maid of honor ever."

"Beautiful, my ass," I blurted and again he laughed then hung up.

It took us a couple of hours to finally settle ourselves in.

"Hey Ken, will you attend to Scotch today? I'd like to take a better look around Verona, if you don't mind."

"Sure, Brands! Go ahead. Just remember to return to the hotel with a complete set of our liquor names!"

"Oui! "

"It should be Si smart ass! You're not in France," he corrected me while laughing.

I laughed with him acknowledging my mistake.

I took out the map I have of this city which I marked beforehand the places I wanted to visit. I was wandering around when my phone buzzed, my bestie, Marge, was calling.

"Hey, biotch! How's your Verona escapade? Meet any cute guys? Tell me!"

"No, none yet."

"You're in Verona right? That's where Shakespeare's most romantic play 'Romeo and Juliet' was set right?"

"Yeah, I guess. That's the dumb boring play that makes Verona famous."

"It isn't dumb or boring you insensitive! It's romantic! It's the tragedy of love and how hatred can destroy even the most pure feelings," her voice sounded sickeningly dreamy.

"That doesn't sound romantic at all," I told her with a shrug.

She hissed. "Where are you now?"

"I don't know, but I am standing in front of a wall covered with sticky notes and letters. There's a bronze statue which I can barely see due to the throng of people."

"You are standing in front of Juliet's statue! Oh my God!" she squealed.

I held my phone away from my ear and waited for her to finish squealing. "Damn it, Marge!" I said when she was done being hysterical. "I think I lost an eardrum."

"You idiot!" she snarled. That's how sweet we are to each other. "They say if you grope the left breast of Juliet's statue, you will have luck in love."

"Gah, do you believe that?" I shook my head at her silliness. "Letters to Juliet, seems strange that they make a big deal out of what may or may not have been the inspiration for Shakespeare's play but good luck in love if you grab her left breast was totally crazy!"

"It's true, bestie! You just have to believe it! You know better than me, you are a love advisor," Marge reiterated.

"So basically if you feel her up, you get some lovin' huh? This entire city is just made to get us laid. Stop daydreaming!"

"Brandy!"

"I got to go, I have a lineup of activities and places to go today, bye bestie!"

These Italians sure are obsessed with love, I thought as I walked away from Juliet's statue. This city became famous for two lovers who, God knows, don't even exist.

I left the place since it was already getting crowded and marched my way to Piazza di Signori, considered the heart of Verona. It's surrounded by historical buildings such as the Palazzo del Comune, the Palazzo del Capitanio, and the Loggia del Consiglio. The buildings are joined with elegant arches, mostly dating from the 14th Century. Despite the wide array of architectural styles the buildings somehow look great together.

Next, I went to Arena di Verona located outside the city walls, It's a Roman amphitheater built in the first half of the 1st Century.

As the sun bid his goodbye, I found myself walking back to Casa di Giulietta.

It was no longer crowded. I saw women of different nationalities scribbling something on pieces of paper. Some were even crying while writing. I actually found the whole thing very touching. As I walked into the Capulet courtyard, there was a tunnel where people from all over the world had written love notes on the walls. I'm not usually a sentimental person, but I liked the spirit of camaraderie among the lovelorn.

A short while later, a woman with long, curly brown hair wearing a simple floral dress and carrying a basket came and collected all the letters. She turned around and walked away. I had seen a similar scene in the film Letters to Juliet before. I never thought it actually happens.

Curious, I followed the woman. I thought she must be one of Juliet's secretaries.

"Excuse me," I called. The woman turned around, a confused expression on her face, but walked slowly towards me. I explained myself. "Uh, well...I was just curious to know where you are going to take those letters."

The woman smiled and said in her strong Italian accent, "So you just followed me to know where I will take these letters?"

I nodded. "I am also a love advisor in Boston. I was wondering how the Secretaries of Juliet do it for real. I mean, it was sensationalized in the movie. I wondered if it's true."

"Is it your first time here?"

"Yeah, it is."

"Come with me.

___________

A/N: What do you think about this chapter? I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for reading lovelies!