Chapter Five

Chapter Five

"Can I ask you something?" Sam asks me as we walk through the halls to our first class of the day.

"Shoot."

"You have a learning disability, right?" Sam asks me. I feel my cheeks flush with anger. I stop walking and it causes Sam to do the same.

"H-How did you know about that?" I ask, anger clear in my voice. I knew that Sam was going to find out sooner or later. I was just hoping that it was later.

"I overheard your mom telling my mom about it. I'm sorry, should I have not said something about it?" Sam asks me. I glance at my watch and see that we have ten minutes before class. I grab Sam's hand and pull him towards one of the corners in the school. I know my attempt at talking in private isn't really working because everyone still seems interested in mine and Sam's actions.

"I don't have a problem with you knowing, okay? It's just kind of a sensitive topic to me." I admit. "My parents didn't want me, and they didn't even know I had a learning disability. I don't like talking about it because I feel like I am just a disappointment to this day. There's a part of me that hopes that my biological parents will want me back. I get that I might seem pathetic for saying that, but it's a dream." I feel tears forming in my eyes and I feel pathetic for crying at school. Especially because I know everyone is looking at us.

"Don't cry." Sam soothes. He places his hands on my cheeks and tries to stop my tears by wiping them away. It calms me a bit, I'll admit. "I didn't mean to make you cry. You aren't pathetic because you have a dream. You aren't pathetic at all. I was actually going to compliment you. I don't understand how you could be so fluent in reading and have a learning disability."

The tears have went away now, but Sam's hands never leave my face. I didn't mind. "I've always been good when it comes to English." I shrug. "I have trouble paying attention in any other subject. I like English because I like to think and read."

The bell rings telling students we have five minutes to get to class. I readjust my book bag on my shoulder. Sam drops his hands from my face. However, his hand grabs mine. We walk to class hand in hand and it makes me feel a little bit better.

When we arrive to my class, I turn towards Sam and give him a kiss on the cheek. He seems a little shocked by my actions. I just wanted to repay him for listening to me and understanding.

"See you at lunch." He tells me.

"Does that mean you're going to sit with me?" I ask as he walks away.

He turns around. "Maybe." Sam winks and walks into his class. I do the same, just as the bell rings.

"Take your seat, Ali." Mrs. Garcia smiles at me. I return it. Everyone seems a bit shocked that she didn't yell at me for not being in my seat during tardy bell.

"She's super strict when it comes to tardies." Harper explained to me once I sat down. "I think she likes you because you're the only one who understood her yesterday."

I laugh.

Mrs. Garcia begins the lesson with telling the class there will be an essay due by the end of this week.

"I want it to be about anything. Anything you feel I should know as your English teacher. I will be spending quite the amount of time with you guys this year, I'd like to know about each and everyone of you. I ask that you don't write more than necessary because I don't feel like reading a lot of ten page essays. You may begin now. We will be working on it all week in class, so I don't think you'll have too much homework this week. From my class, anyways."