↠ where to start

You want to write a story?

– Great, that's nice!

You have zero experience in doing that?

– Keep in mind, everyone starts somewhere.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

People tell me that they wish they could write things either here on wattpad or on other websites. Each time I hear things like that, my first thought is "why the hell not, then? what is stopping you?"

I get that people are nervous about uploading their story to a public website. It can be scary and you might think things like "what if nobody likes my story?", but stop right there. It's important for every creator to know that what they create is their work. It's not being made to please others.

That might sound very selfish, but while it's nice to provide i.e. a fandom with your fanfiction or fanart, at the end of the day, you should do it, because it's a hobby of yours or a talent you want to get better at. Sure, authors and artists work for a living, but even then, it should be something they wholeheartedly enjoy doing.

If you are not going to have fun with it, there is no point in continuing. Only when you really love the act of creating itself, no matter the outcome, your work has true potential to be to your liking and to that of others as well.

So, if you are inspired or feel like writing a piece of fiction, then give it a try and see if it's your thing! Don't strive for perfection immediately and don't give up in case you're not satisfied with what you write. Instead think of yourself starting to write as a long beautiful path with many things to experience and learn along the way!

Are you up for the journey?

– Start right away!

«Where do I start, then?»

Figure out what inspires you!

– Do you like reading stories here on wattpad? If yes, what are they about?
– Do you like reading books or comics in general? What genre is your thing?
– Are you a fan of listening to music and feel like a certain song, album, playlist tells a story that needs to be written out?
– It's even possible an art piece at the museum caught your eye and you feel it's worthy of an own story?
– Or maybe you like TV shows, anime, movies and would love to write a story about your favorite characters?
– Perhaps you are eager to create your own character and let them live in your favorite fictional world or one you established yourself?

The possibilities are endless. Fantasy is a synonym for infinity.

Find your own spark of sweet inspiration and embrace it.

To put it more briefly: Collect ideas on which topic you want to write about. The source can be your interests or hobbies, your own experience or anything else you can think of!

«How do I go about actually writing my ideas down?»

Pick up two books or even stories on this website, written by to different people. You should quickly see that their writing style is completely varying from each other. In choice of words, atmosphere, level of seriousness, and so on. Even through just talking, you hear different people use different words, tones, expressions.

Everyone has their own way of expressing themselves.

So here's what to take into account when you start writing your own things:

– Do not copy someone's writing style. Instead, develop your own. How do you go about this? Next point is a protip.
– Take a journal and a pencil with you at all time. If you want to, you can also just use your phone application for notes. Spend a few days - or more - observing your surroundings. Take in what you see, what you hear, how you feel and put it into words. You can do it while actually in the situation itself or reflect upon it at the end of the day with a diary.
– Attempt to be as descriptive as you can and vary your words as much as possible. Using the same words and phrases over and over again makes things boring. In some situations this can be helpful, if you actively plan on carrying on the atmosphere of drought, boredom, loneliness, etc. Most of the times though, it is better to let your imagination bloom through a descriptive and expressive language. Have your story come to life and let it spark energy and dynamic!
– If you are having a hard time thinking of varying words, look them up in a dictionary or the internet. There are various masterposts on the world wide web that provide you with an interminable list of synonyms for a specific word. Open google and type in "synonym for ..." and you will most likely find a list that could fill an entire book itself.
– Make it your goal to fill up your journey with little drabbles of your writing or gather a rather long collection of notes on your phone. If you ever suffer from a writers block (next chapter), don't be harsh on yourself. It's not wrong to take a break either.