Struggles

Head hanging. Feet shuffling. Dark hoodie hides his face. Black jeans, brown hair, blue eyes. Ear buds hang from hidden ears, blaring music to drown the jeering. This is me. This is the story of my life. 

***  

"Why?" 

"Because...I just can't." 

"Who cares what they say? Nothing's gonna change." 

"But what will they say? I'm not sure I can face that." 

"Okay. Okay, not yet." 

He leaned over and kissed me. 

*** 

Head hanging. Feet shuffling. A large, heavy force bowls into my side, slamming me into the lockers. I cringe. Just another bruise to add to my mottled blue and purple pattern that paints my arm.  

"Hey Gay-briel. How's your boyfriend?" His face twists in obvious disgust.

"Leave me alone, Brent." My voice is quiet. 

"Shut up you little mutant." 

His fist connects with my nose twisting it painfully to the side. Warm, salty blood streaks my cheeks and runs over my lips. Swiftly, I duck under his arm and bolt to the bathroom, ignoring the clusters of laughing students that pass by. I can't even call one of them my friend. Not anymore. 

Once inside the restroom, I lock the door and turn to look in the mirror. Oh God. Grab some paper towels, wet them, and clean face. This process seams normal to me. Almost like a sort of morbid ritual. I dry my face and back up. The skin around my nose is a greenish-purple colour. I reach up and twist my nose to its proper place. Sighing, I lean up against the wall and slide down to a sitting position. Head in my hands, tears begin to steam down my face. 

My name is Gabriel, I am sixteen years old, and I am dating Toby.

-_-_-_-

Surrounded by friends. Laughing, talking. The bright sun warms my back as I sit around the picnic table. "Hey, Toby!" 

Turning, I see my best friend. We've been friends since freshman year and we serve as co-captains of the wrestling team. "Brent! Where were you?" 

"Oh, just practicing for the team." He said with a slight smirk. 

Giving his aloofness no second thought, I dropped the conversation. He stalked over and sat next to me, causing the wooden bench to creak in protest. Brent is not exactly a small guy. 

"So Toby, you know that little punk, Gabriel?" I straighten but do not answer. If he notices, he does not show it. Oh no... here we go again. "I still haven't found out who the twerp's boyfriend is but it's probably another loser." Brent and Colby, who sits to his left, start cackling. I sit there staring at my burger. 

"As I said, I don't know who this 'special guy' is, but I solemnly swear to find out!" he holds his right hand in the air as if he is making a serious promise. As he finishes his little speech, Colby reaches up and gives Brent's hand a high-five and, again, they both crack up. I decide that this has gone on too long. 

"Hey, Brent!" 

"Yayes?" 

"I ... um," I chicken out. Again. "Have you beaten Apocalypse of the Damned yet? It's really not that hard." 

"Nah man. You wanna come over after school today and help me?" 

Dang it. 

"Oh, sorry. I can't. I Have things to do. How about tomorrow?"