Chapter Twenty Five

"HE'S in a coma, caused by trauma to the head when the car crash."

"We don't know when he'll wake up."

"We're not sure if he'll live."

"I'm very sorry..."

Declan lay on a bed of white, machines beeping around him, his chest rising and falling with peaceful steadiness. He looked as attractive as he was the first time I met him, and perhaps more handsome with his eyes closed as if he were simply taking a nap. Taking the seat beside the bed, I brushed his hair away from his forehead and as I did so, a drop of water spilled onto his cheek from the tears running from my eyes.

I had forced Mom to drive like a maniac to get to here as fast as possible hoping that the sooner I got here, the sooner good news would be on the way...

My hopes plummeted when I saw his figure.

"Declan," I whispered. "Wake up. Wake up, you asshole."

I could still hear the machines beeping unsteadily, but no matter how loud the machines were, Declan lay there, motionless.

"You know, I never thought this would happen."

At this point, I was too perplexed by my own worry to make note of the fact that I was incoherently speaking to an unconscious person.

"Remember when we first met? We hated each other. I hated your brother, but I kind of sort of loved him at the same time. Then somehow, through this big twisting shit of a mess, I began feeling this way about you..."

Another tear drop fell down my cheek.

"How could this happen?" I asked to no one in particular. "Besides the fact that you acted like a jerk when we first met, and you were still jerk when we became somewhat friends..." I laughed through my tears, quietly. "You need to wake up. Understand? I like you. A lot. So wake up. If you don't wake up...I'll...I'll kill you!"

The last part was meant to be a joke, but I couldn't help it. I burst into sobs so loud and heavy that I could hardly believe that it was me crying.

"Don't die on me! Don't, you stupid idiot!"

Grabbing his limp hand, I laced my fingers through his and squeezed tightly, enjoying the warmth. Even though Declan didn't budge, I felt myself heating up. He still had that effect on me, and he wasn't even conscious

"I don't care how long you're going to be like this," I told him. "I'm going to wait for you. Got that? Take as long as you need. I'll always wait for you, Declan."

Moving forward, I placed a soft kiss against his unresponsive lips.

"I always will."