The Cracked Mirror

My name is Zetsu. I don't know if it's my real name, but I like it. It seems fitting. I don't know much about anything. I don't even know how old I am or what I did before I woke up in this place. I don't do much except for think and walk around the dark area I'm confined to. It's worse than I would imagine Death to be, but even then I don't know what Death is either. I have no home, no family and no way of escape. It's like everything is a nightmare; A fading, fleeting nightmare…  

     "Three nights in a row. Must be a goddamn record." Ryiko grumbled. His dreams usually repeat themselves, but not to this extent. The first time he had the dream was a few weeks ago, but it was repeating itself almost every night to the amazement of Ryiko. The detail was incredible and it was like watching a movie, but it was unsettling. It almost looked too real and that's what scared Ryiko. 

     Pulling the covers off his head, he was greeted by the glaring sun and the drawl from his alarm. He tried his best to ignore it, but the noise from it was enough to make him plot ways to destroy it. He sat up and his eyes immediately caught sight of a small box on his dresser. It took him a few moments to remember what it was, but he was overjoyed when he did. It was a new pair of glasses with a special frame.

     He pushed the covers off of his legs and stood up. He stretched for a few minutes, like he did every morning and walked to his dresser. Picking up a small knife from its sheath, he delicately cut the tape from the box. He put the knife back, and was amazed by what he saw in the box. It was a pair of glasses with a purposely best frame and yellow lens. It was a pair of special glasses, made exclusively for him by one of his few friends who was an expert inventor and doctor.

     He put them on and looked in the mirror. Staring back at him was a tall, 23 year old with black hair, piercing green eyes and a medium build. Covering his eyes were his special glasses, hoping they would take away from the visible scar going from his forehead to the bottom of his left eye. He was wearing a white sweatshirt with ice-blue stripes and a few small holes from wear. Under the sweatshirt, he wore a shirt from last night. He wore loose, baggy camouflage pants that also had holes from constant wear. Holding up the pants was a grey-green belt, of which he owned almost 20 of the same exact belt.

     He walked away from his mirror to admire his apartment and what he owned. It was pretty big for being an apartment in the city. His kitchen was state of the art with brand new appliances thanks to his parents. It was also a mess. Ryiko walked from his bedroom door way, over a few things on the floor and into the kitchen. He looked around the space as he put some bread in the toaster. The counters were cluttered with things like a toaster, a microwave and a seldom used blender. The countertops were made from granite and a nice shade of brown granite.

     The sink was full of dishes and was the main reason he used paper plates. Ryiko shuffled over to the cabinet above the sink to grab a plate, but was almost knocked in the face as a ceramic coffee mug tumbling out. It woke Ryiko up more than the coffee that was going  into the cup. He put the mug back and grabbed a plate, muttering insults to the infernal cup. 

     He opened the fridge to get out some jelly for his toast, moving aside the milk and left-over Chinese food. As he got it out, the toaster popped up, filling the air with the aroma of freshly toasted bread. He got out a butter knife, opened the lid to the jelly and stuck the knife in. He put the hot toast on the plate and began to meticulously coat each slice with a layer of sweet, stick jam. He put the jelly back in the fridge and stuck the knife into the mountain of dishes and silverware.

     He stepped away from his disaster of a kitchen and started walking towards his dining room. In reality, it was only a small table situated between the living room and kitchen. The best part was that it over looked the far wall, which was a technological marvel: A plastic polymer that was 5 times stronger then steel and weighed only half as much. It was also magnified; making it perfect for sightseeing.