Chapter 3

Two days...

It had been two days since I've seen Emma at school. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the last encounter I had with her on Tuesday, and she was trying to avoid any physical contact with me.

It was finally time for lunch and I don't think I've ever been so glad. Teachers have a good way of being annoying fuckers and pissing people off.

I grabbed my lunch and walked to the usual table, all my friends already sat down, engaged in a deep conversation, oblivious to my sudden appearance. I observed the table and Zayn still hadn't been around. Ever since I came back from vacation, he hasn't been seen around at lunch, and it irritated me not knowing why. He seemed to be too into his secrets to even trust any of us with his whereabouts, and I was beginning to worry; growing anxious as I hoped that he wasn't moving backwards into the old life he was once lost in.

The little encounter I witnessed him and Emma have two days ago while I was avoiding math class arose in my thoughts and each day I craved to know what it was they were talking about, what I would've seen if I was too come out from around the corner.

"Hey lad. You okay?" Louis' voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah. Just wondering where Zayn could be and why he's never around during lunch.."

"We told you that he was never around anymore, in all honesty, I don't see any way of getting him to tell us, you know how Zayn is."

"Do you think it has anything to do with me?" I groaned, "Do you think I've possibly done something and made him livid?"

"Of course not, Harry," Amanda placed one of her small hands over mine in an attempt to comfort me, "We told you he had been doing it for a while now, even before you came back from your trip." She reminded me and I'm glad, Zayn is one of my best mates and I don't want something stupid like his past ruining the bond we have. I gave her a reassuring smile before her eyes darted behind me.

"Speak of the devil." Louis chimed, nodding his head in the direction of the individual making their way towards us.

Zayn.

"Hey mate whats going on is it the end of the world or something?" Liam jokes "Haven't seen you in this place in weeks" Zayn chuckles. 

"Just finished some business early, that's all." He shrugged as if no big deal.

"Mind if I ask what you've been up to?"

He shrugged again, "Nothing important."

I sighed in defeat, picking at the slob on my tray, and making a mental note to begin buying food from outside because this school lunch is gross.

"Are you okay, Harry?" Niall questioned, taking in my unusual quiet demeanor.

"He's upset because his dearest trouble maker isn't here to tell him how much she hates him." Louis joked, causing us all to laugh, except for Amber, who only rolled her eyes.

"That Emily is one hand full isn't she Harry," Niall nudged my shoulder and I shook my head.

"Dude, never call her Emily. She hates it." Zayn's sudden stern demeanor caught us all off guard.

"How would you know?" I questioned, watching his face for any sudden flash of panic or guilt, however his features remained the same. Then I remembered the time the principle called her Emily and how she was quick to rip her head off.

"Dunno. the last time I saw our history teacher call her Emily, and she seemed as if she was going to rip his throat out," He stated before the topic quickly faded away.

"So Harry, what movie are we watching on Sunday?" Amanda happily changed the topic.

"Sunday?" The boys all questioned in unison.

"Yeah. Harry and I are doing our Sunday movie sessions again." Her smile reached from ear to ear.

"Movie session? Or do you mean make out session" The boys joked, nudging me and Amanda before I had rolled my eyes, and Amanda smacked Louis upside the head with a pack of sliced apples. Amanda is my best friend. Nothing more.

-2 days later - Sunday-

'Don't forget to bring the snacks and some movies to choose from -A'

'Of course see you in 20 manda-bell -Hxx'

'See ya dork :) -A'

I shoved my phone in the pocket of my grey sweats, pulled a black T-shirt over my head, a grey knit beanie, and a pair of white converse on my feet.

My mum said she would be out late at work, and I told her I would be staying out at Amanda's for the night, earning a curt nod before she left; I walked out a couple minutes after her.

-

I drove down the dark, cold streets of London on my way to Amanda's flat. Humming softly to the peaceful tune playing on the radio.

"Holy shi-" I cursed and slammed my foot on the brakes; my Range Rover came to a sudden halt as the force lunged my body forward; the seat belt pulling me right back into my seat.

I watched as the frantic girl, who I nearly ran over, continued to run across the street, practically getting hit by multiple cars. Her hair whips all over her face, blinding her vision. It was freezing outside and she's in nothing but a knit shirt, torn jeans, and a dirty pair of converse. I felt for the girl as she continued to run for dear life, continually looking back to make sure she wasn't being followed. I could see her heavy breathing coming out in big puffs of smoke. She had finally began to slow down, and I noticed her rub up and down her forearms for warmth and it took everything in me not to stop and give her my sweater. She jogged up to a fairly big house and pulled on the door knob, attempting to open it with all her strength, but to no avail, she frantically banged on the door with her fist and then began to kick at it, after what seemed like minutes of struggling, she peered over her shoulder before she felt her pockets for what I suppose were her keys. I assume she couldn't find them at her sudden outburst and continuous kicks at the door.

My brows furrowed when I saw her begin to climb the tree a few feet away from her door with such ease, as if she's done it before. Once she was a branch away from the top open window, she propped herself up, and she was finally close enough to the window leading to her success, however once she had fully stepped on the branch, it snapped right from under her, and before her frantic hands had the time to grip onto something else, She fell with a loud thud. I practically ripped out of my seat belt and burst out of my car, running across the street and towards the injured girl lying on the ground.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck." I cursed under my breath as I grew closer; her hand reached up to rub a sore spot at the side of her temple and a row of pain filled moans escaped her lips.

Her hair was messy and knotted, containing leaves and small twigs. Her pants were ripped, and gave a perfect view of a huge bleeding wound on her left thigh. Her eyes were closed, and her tilted head showed off the slash she had at the base of her throat; her bleeding lip was a light shade of blue from the freezing weather, and I continued to debate with myself on if she was still alive. Her hand continued to lye motionless on her head, and I swear if it wasn't for the rapid rise and fall of her chest, and the quick burst of smoke blowing out of her slightly parted lips, I would've believed that she was dead.

"Fuck, are you okay?!" I quickly spoke and kneeled down beside her, removing strands of hair from her face, anc she let out a pain filled groan.

"Emma...?"