Chapter 1

The Other Side of HIm

Chapter 1: Realization

She slammed her fists on the table and said, “I think I should quit.”

Not surprised, her two best friends just sat there, emotionlessly munching on their fried chicken. 

“I SAID I should just quit.” Repeating herself, slightly louder this time. She was answered with silence once again.

“ARE YOU FREAKING IGNORING ME?” She screamed and collapsed on the table in front of her, already making a small puddle of drool on it.

“She’s drunk.”, said her best friend, Violet, monotonously.

“Definitely.” Her other best friend, Aidan, confirmed.

They rolled up their sleeves and got into their positions.

“Ready?” Aidan did a small nod, and in a second, they were crowding over their best friend. 

“EVA! EVA WAKE UP! EVANNIE ROSS. ROSS. YO ROSS, WAKE UP.” Violet screamed into one ear, while Aidan slapped Eva’s cheeks, one at a time.

There was still no answer. Of course, the two were expecting it. Out of the six years they had been friends, this wasn’t the first time they were caught in a situation like this. Their best friend, Evannie Ross, was the infamous deep sleeper of their school. She was also noted to be the one most hungover the next day. They were obviously not allowed to drink for they were only juniors- at least in regular high schools- but like all typical high schoolers, they bended the rules nonetheless.

Violet and Aidan dragged Evannie along, slumped on each of their shoulders.

“Have you... ugh... gained some weight?” Violet struggled to ask, not expecting an answer.

Evannie came to a sudden halt, and pulled herself to a small corner. Out of her mouth, came a bucket of orange tinted glob with occasional colors of green, red and yellow.

“AW Eva, do you HAVE to do that here?” Pinching her nose, Violet made a face before she looked away. “H-hey, did you come here after your recital too?” 

From a distance behind her, Evannie heard her best friend trying her best to make conversation. She was a little sobered up after the up-chucking, so she decided to do some eavesdropping. The answering voice was one she wasn’t quite familiar with, though she was certain that she had heard it somewhere before.

“Evannie? Is that you? You okay?” When she turned around, she saw him staring right back at her with concerned eyes. It was Jordan Kors, her personal enemy. Sure he was rich, talented, handsome and nice, but her past experiences with him told her otherwise. 

They spoke the truth of how he wasn’t really the guy he was pretending to be. 

Flashback (Last year- after dance recital)

“Good job, everyone. Nicely done. All that practicing finally paid off, didn’t it? Now, we’re going to start on a clean slate, and next semester we’re going to learn a new routine. Be prepared, and have a wonderful break.” The teacher ended her inspirational(?) speech, that left the eyes of many students teary. 

In a rush, the students that filled the practice room emptied one by one, and were fussing about the after party. 

“Hey Jordan, you’re coming right?”

“Jordan man, we need you there tonight.”

“Jordan, you’ll be there for me, wouldn’t you?”

“Jordan-”

“Jordan-”

Evannie sighed as she slowly packed. It seemed like everyone like Jordan, including herself. He was just someone so amiable, smiling at everybody and never once seen angry or frowning. Mentally cursing God of being so unfair, she slung her backpack full of dance equipment over her shoulder and began walking out of the classroom. 

A fallen pencil then caught her eye. It was just a  pencil, but thinking that leaving it, only to be thrown away, would be a waste, she reached out and grabbed it. She dusted it off with her hands and stuck them in her pocket. ‘Good’, she thought. ‘I can fool Violet and give it as her birthday present.’ Quietly she giggled at her evil genius plan, and began heading out again. 

“Hey.. Glad to know you’re okay...... Mhm...

She stopped in her tracks when she heard Jordan’s voice. He was talking on the phone. Was it a girl? Then she silently began to laugh as well as scold herself. ‘Of course he has a girlfriend... Or else how much of a waste would his looks, his money, and his talent, be?’ 

“Here? Well yeah. The usual... I’m not going. The after party’ll probably be a mess. I don’t like being linked with those kind of people....” he then laughed a little. “Yeah... You’re right. Pathetic.” 

Ending his call, he slipped his phone into his pocket and walked away.

She on the other hand, stood there, confused as well as stunned about what had just happened. 

Pathetic? 

A/N: Yet another story. You may scorn me all you want but I love this story. The italics are flashbacks, and the title of the chapters are kind of... codes. Some have deep meanings so you may have to figure it out :) Get the brain working eh? Thanks for reading^^