chapter 6

CHAPTER 6

In her room, as she undressed for bed, she resolved to be brave and strong.

A year was not so very long, after all, and when it was over, she would go home and marry Ronin.

She found her bag at the foot of the bed and dug through its meager contents for her nightgown.

Slipping it over her head, she crawled under the covers.

The mattress was soft, the sheets wondrously clean.

And warm.

They were not made of the coarse cotton she was used to, but some soft material that seemed to

enfold her.

Her pillow, too, was softer than what she was used to.

Filled with down, she thought.

Lying on her side, one hand beneath her cheek, she stared sightlessly into the darkness, a single tear slipping down her cheek.

"Mama's life is worth it," she whispered.

But it didn't stop the tears.

Darkfest stood before the hearth in the great hall, listening to the sound of her tears.

She was lonely and homesick and afraid.

Why had he brought her here?

Why, indeed?

Without conscious thought, her image danced across his mind—her body supple, her hair like sunlight, her skin the color of the wild peaches that grew to the north.

Oh, yes, he knew why he had brought her here, knew it with every breath, knew it in the deepest region of his heart and soul.

But he could not admit it.

Neither could he stay away from her side.

He changed to wolf form as he made his way down the corridor.

A thought opened the door and he padded into her room.

For a time, he stood beside the bed, watching her, and then he licked her arm.

She woke with a start, her sightless eyes wide, her mouth open in a silent cry.

A low rumble rose from his throat as he leaned forward and licked her arm again.

"Magick? Is that you?"

He growled softly in reply.

"But… how did you get in here?"

With eager hands she reached for him, her fingers gently grasping his fur.

And he felt the darkness leave her eyes, saw her smile as the shadowy room became visible.

She gasped as the candle at her bedside sprang to life.

"Oh, my," she murmured, glancing around. " 'Tis even bigger than I thought."

She swung her legs over the side of the bed and sat up, one hand still clinging to his fur.

"Look how high the ceilings are. Oh! Magick, look."

He heard the wonder in her voice as she stared at the painting on the ceiling.

It had been done hundreds of years ago.

He had stopped seeing it long ago; now, as he looked at it through her eyes, it was like seeing it for the first time.

Fluffy white clouds were scattered against a pale blue sky.