Chapter Two

"Hunter?" I breathe. Hunter steps over the mass of blood and gore that had once been a vampire laying at his feet, and extends a hand down to me. Not once taking my eyes off of him, I accept it and he helps me to shaking legs with a firm grip. My mouth hangs agape as I continue to ogle at him.

"You can stop staring now." He teases with a half-smile, dark hair dishevelled and a strand falling seductively over one infinite eye. I don't even blink at his suggestive tone. Instead of saying anything, I launch myself at him and he immediately wraps both arms around me protectively with a surprised chuckle, letting me comfort myself in his familiar coldness that still seems to be warm.

"Why are you here?" I whisper into his grey tee-shirt clad shoulder, taking a slow step back as his arms fall to his sides. "How long have you been here?" I press, frowning when he averts his eyes. The scar has always given this beautiful man a harder edge, a more threatening and dark appeal, but now he just looks... vulnerable. Like a little boy who's been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. I've never seen him so bothered before. That's when I know that he's not telling me something. "Hunter?"

"We should probably clean this up before your friend sees it." He simply says, and before I can protest there's a whirlwind of motion around me happening in a few seconds, while I just stand frozen in the same spot. After that tiny span of time Hunter's in front of me again, all blood and gore cleaned up, and the broken copper table gone and out of sight. It's as if no break-in ever happened.

"Hunter, how did you know where I live?"

-Emma? What happened?" I let out a controlled sigh of annoyance when Julia's shaking voice fills my ears from around the corner. Hunter tries his best to suppress a smirk at my obvious irritation, and the warning glare that I give him just makes him grin wider. I take a deep breath and round the corner, feeling Hunter's immediate presence behind me as I do. Julia is standing by the couch, running her fingers along its top edge nervously and trying to peer around the corner hesitantly. When I come into view she relaxes and opens her mouth to speak, but then she spots someone else. I close my eyes and reopen them, and when I do I see her mouth just hangs open at the sight of Hunter behind me. He steps around me and walks towards her with confidence and casualness, extending a polite hand towards her.

"I'm Hunter. Nice to meet you." When she doesn't make a move to accept his hand he slowly retreats it with a blink, scratching the back of his head with awkward amusement. She's still frozen in spot and doesn't even flinch when he waves a hand in front of her face. "Hello?" He repeats slowly. Finally she shows some life, blinking twice, then again, and taking a shaky step back, never once leaving her gaze from him. Yes, he might be astonishingly handsome, but that scar running down his right cheek makes him look dangerous, lethal. Those swirling black eyes with the red around their pupils doesn't help. She glances at me and I look away nervously, to which her lip wobbles slightly with shock.

"H-hi," She stammers, extending a hand to him, "I'm Julia. It's umm - nice to meet you too." Hunter gives her a dazzling smile and shakes her hand gently, and that seems to win her over. She's practically melting. I decide to put an end to all of... that.

"Okay, Julia you're welcome to stay, or leave," I cut in, watching Hunter let go of the hand that she was practically squeezing the life out of. He tilts his head to me and raises an eyebrow with entertainment. "But I really need to speak to my friend over here." I tilt my head at her and she seems to get the message by my emphasis. She mutters a quick 'goodbye' before grabbing the take-away bag and quickly waddling around Hunter. On her way past me she looks at me with wide eyes that scream 'you're telling me all about this later', and when I hear the broken front door awkwardly shut I let go of a shaking breath that I hadn't realised I'd been holding. I cross my arms and turn to Hunter who's still watching me with a grin.