Chapter 3

I woke up on the ground but something didn't seem right. I looked up and saw Bella stare down at me in horror. I sat up, curious what she found so horrifying. Then, I saw it. A crippled body sitting next to me. It was me, it was my body. "HAZEL? HAZEL!" I heard Bella scream, she ran down and sat next to my body. She grabbed my hand and held it to her heart. She started sobbing "Hazel, please wake up, I'm so sorry I didn't mean for this to happen" she said through sobs. "You're right I didn't mean anything I said, I was hurting" She sat there for a while, holding my hand. "I know you care Hazel, I know you do" she said after a while "you are the best thing that ever happened to me, please Hazel, wake up". Tears started to well up in my eyes, "I'm so sorry" whispered Bella. "I know Bella, I know" I answered. I knew she couldn't hear me, but I just want to comfort her. I reached out and touched her hand. She can't feel my hand, but at least I can feel hers. After a while she got up and looked around, suddenly she runs over to the corner, I watch her pick up the bracelet that she threw and put it back on her wrist. She looks over at my body, tears spill over while she hold her wrist tight, and then she walks away. I follow her.

She runs over to Josh and taps him on the shoulder, he is going to be crushed when he finds out I'm gone. She motions for him to follow and brings him near the stairwell. "Josh, I need help" she said "What?" He asked "Is it Hazel?" Bella paused a moment "don't tell him what really happened Bella" I whispered. I don't want her getting into trouble. Even though she killed me, I still care for her. "Yes" she said. "She fell" continued Bella. "Good call, Bella" I said. Bella walked into the stairwell and Josh followed. When he saw my body, he fell to his knees. He crawled over to my body and held me in his arms. Tears started running down his cheeks. He kissed my forehead and put his ear to my chest. He kept feeling for my pulse but he couldn't find one. He stared at my body in disbelief. "She's gone" he said silently. "My Hazel, my precious Hazel" he whispered. I reached for his hand but he turned around and picked up my body. "We should tell someone, the principal?" He said finally. Bella stood up, still crying and nodded. They walked through the halls together to the principal's office.

They knocked on the door and were let in, I followed. The principal saw my body and went pale. "What happened?" she asked. "She fell, we were dancing on the top platform of one of the stairwells and she flipped over the railing and fell to the bottom" said Bella. Josh just stood there, holding my body. "Well, we should call her parents, Hazel Williams, right? The prom queen?" Asked the principal. Josh nodded. She dialed my parents number and explained what happened. The next thing I know there are sirens and everyone running around, not knowing how to react. My parents showed up and cried while holding my body, I wrapped my arms around them and promised to take care of them. I promised that I would watch over everyone I cared about as long as I remain a ghost, and as long as they live.