Chapter Three- Ashley

Chapter 3

Ashley

What the heck is the guy doing in my biology class? I ask myself as the guy who basically stopped me breathing gives a green slip to Mr Saunders and scans the classroom for a seat. I assume he’s looking for a seat… but a guy like him is probably looking at the bimbo blondes giggling at the back of the classroom. Ohmysweetgod I hope he doesn’t see me… I sink back into my seat so he might not recognize me. After a couple of seconds, curiosity gets the better of me and I decide to look up to see if he has successfully moved away from me to the back of the classroom. Instead he stands right next to my desk, staring at me. Shit.

‘Hey…um can I sit here?’ The guy says to me, as I try to cover the mass embarrassment coming onto my cheeks. God knows what he thinks of me now that he has had to stand there awkwardly waiting for me to look up.

‘Uh… yeah sure.’ He sits down next to me, taking out his PAD from his bag… wait that’s not a PAD… it’s an actual pad… of paper. Is this guy for real?

Whilst Mr Saunders takes the role I sit just as awkwardly in my seat, waiting for my name to be called.

The guy sits there perfectly still looking at the board, as if transfixed on something. Through the corner of my eye I see him break his glance, pausing to run a hand through his hair. Have mercy…

‘Ashley Tatem?’

‘Here.’ I say at the sound of my name. The guy makes a noise, as if he was amused at the sound of my name. I sink further into my chair in response and proceed to opening the biology textbook on my PAD. Aw crap, he’s going to ask to share a textbook isn’t he? It isn’t until the end of the role when the guy responds to his name.

‘Daniel Peters?’ Huh, so that’s his name…

‘Yup.’ Daniel says in response, as he lays back in his chair, much the same as I did before.

Throughout the entity of the lesson I keep my eyes glued to the Smart PAD at the fount of the class room. I can see out of the corner of my eye that Daniel is staring at me, or at least my way… his blue eyes like lasers burning holes through the side of my head. I feel so awkward and I don’t know why… he’s probably not even looking at me and just the girls across on the other side of the room. They’re probably thinking along the same lines as May was yesterday, and I see Isabelle Harch twisting her blonde hair around her finger. Man… these girls really are desperate for fresh stock. And I think Daniel is their new target. I turn around to see if Daniel is looking at me, only to hear the unmistakable sound of my PAD hitting the floor once again. I swear this PAD just wants to hug the freaking floor! Reaching down to pick it up I graze whist is unmistakably a human hand.