Seven

SEVEN

 The stairs creaked terribly, it would be possible for only a small child to creep up on anybody, I began to relax once we were further away from Mrs. Orgreave. It was time to start my investigation with George.

 “So does your mother have any help running the boarding house… Are they any servants here?”

 “We used to have servants but they never stay for very long now…” George replied candidly.

 “Oh why’s that?” I asked lightly, ready to think there were sinister forces at work, though probably more likely that the landlady could no longer afford to pay for servants.

 “Well Mama kept falling out with them.” The boy replied with disarming honesty, shaking his head, he smiled with childish indulgence at the troublesome grown up known as his mother.

 “Sounds like your mother.” I had to admire Mrs. Orgreave’s spirit, smiling at George like a co-conspirator, I nudged him playfully in the arm.

 “But I liked some of the servants, and even though they were girls, they were still my friends.” George blurted out with annoyance and glancing up at me, he pouted sadly. “It would be nice to have some friends my own age… But ever since we moved to this boarding house five years ago, it’s been frightfully difficult to make friends…You see I don’t really fit in with the other boys here.” George confessed, he took a deep breath as though a great weight had been lifted with his confession.

 “Don’t fit in… The Doctor and I know the feeling George. You’re in great company, all the best don’t fit in that easily you know.” I winked at the youngster, full of reassurance and was rewarded with a huge smile.      

 We had reached the first floor landing. I established from George that the floor above was used for the servants quarters and also used for guests when the boarding house, once upon-a-time was a thriving place and then above that was the attic. Which George explored many years ago and according to the child no one ever went up there anymore. There seemed to be more space on the upper floor as George directed me towards the closed door of the communal sitting room, which in fact only belonged to the two spinster Claverley sisters. George pressed his head against the door and after a moments deliberation he cheekily stated.

 “The old dears are definitely in there.”

 Feeling like an intruder I went to knock on the door but George simply pushed the door open, some of his mother’s resentment had rubbed off on him.

 “You can go in without knocking, this isn’t their house you know.”

 Mrs. Orgreave’s unsuitableness for her vocation was all too apparent, along with her bitterness and feelings of degradation at having to run a boarding house.

 I blushed as I wandered through the creaking door. Two sets of ancient eyes coldly turned upon me, I was suddenly reminded of Medusa but after an awkward pause the atmosphere altered instantly as the old ladies faces relaxed and the larger lady smiled with good natured delight at the intrusion.

 “Hello, I’m Miss Bailey… I’m a friend of the family and will be staying here briefly.” I smiled politely, lying through my teeth as I sat down near the two sisters. I was struck at how much lighter and airy their sitting room was, there was a large bay window which the wind rattled against and I could even catch a glimpse of the sea and its pier. The outside world felt reassuringly close again. After salutations from the seemingly benign sisters, young George went over to the bookcase, sprawling across the floor he amused himself with a book of engravings, putting 21st century kids to shame with his resourcefulness.