This Christmas: Love

I looked outside at the sow falling down like white sheets covering the streets in all of its glory. I smiled and started to open up my bakery for the day because I know a lot of people were going to come in since it is the week before Christmas. I turned over the sign on the door that announced the bakery was open. I smiled to myself and went behind the counter and I started to lay out the new cookies and cakes that I had made before opening the bakery for the day. My best friend Leah then walked into the room and looked at me.

“You seem awfully happy today for someone that is single,” she said to me.

I laughed, “I am just happy that Christmas is almost here. This time of year is always my favorite Leah.”

“Why is that Jessica?” She asked me.

I sighed happily, “You never know what can happen during Christmas or before it.”

“Last year you were dumped the week before Christmas and you still seem very cheery,” Leah stated and she tossed her apron at me.

I grabbed the apron with one hand, “Tony just wasn’t the one for me but there are many other guys out there. I’m not going to let one guy who dumped me last year ruin this year.”

She rolled her eyes, “What am I going to do with you?”

“What would you do without me?” I retorted.

She laughed, “You have a point. I actually would be very lost without you because I wouldn’t have this awesome job that pays for my bills and house.”

I smiled, “That’s the spirit Leah…but why do you hate Christmas?”

“I don’t hate Christmas!” She exclaimed.

“Then why do you always bother me about loving it?” I asked.

“I just think it’s a holiday that people always overuse to try to get gifts from others. The last time I checked, it was meant to celebrate Jesus’s birthday,” she explained to me as she started cleaning the bakery.

“It is meant for that but it is also meant to spend with family,” I added.

“Are you going to be okay this year? Tony did hurt you pretty bad.”

“He may have left me for another girl but that doesn’t mean I’m going to be bitter about it. I admit that I am not that pretty and rich but I have a heart,” I said with a smile.

Leah looked at me, “No matter how bad someone hurts you, you seem to always accept what happened. I love you for that Jessica…you are different from the others.”

I nodded, “I always try to accept what happens because that is life’s way to tell me that something is not meant for me or is meant to be. Life has a funny way of working.”

“I hope you can fly out to your family this year,” she said to me.

I looked down, “I can’t this year actually.”

“Why?” Leah questioned.

“My parents will be going to a different country this year to celebrate Christmas.”

“Does that mean you will be lonely?” She asked me.

“I might be lonely but I will be alright.” I then heard the bell ring and I turned towards the door.

“Are you guys already selling Christmas cakes and cookies?” Dylan asked me.

I nodded, “I will always sell them the week before Christmas and the day or two before Christmas. Are you interested in buying some cookies or cake?”