Ahkmenrah x OC

Every night, I dreamt of him.  His large eyes, his copper tone skin, his wide smile.  The kind way he always spoke to me, how he treated me like I was the world to him.

  "Callisthenes," he would begin.  "What is more important to me than you?"

  I would smile as he drew me close, using his soft, dark eyes to gaze into mine.

  "Nothing, my love," I would say.  Sequences such as these filled my mind as I slept.  Faded memories, everything in black and white.  Except for him.  He was always the color in my world.  He still was as I slept.  A particular event repeated itself more than the others.

  I sat in my chambers, my amulet resting in my hands.  Its deep, purple gem set in a frame of silver glinted in the sunlight filtering through my window.  I could feel the power radiating from it, but my mother had yet to teach me of the amulet's ways.  The necklace's chain was curled up in the palm of my hand, it equally as elegant as the jewel.

  A knock at my door drew my attention from the amulet to my mother, Galilea.  She had dark hair, laden with golden strings, that fell to her waist.  She had large, jade eyes that saw everything.  Though she looked but twenty, she had a motherly and regal air about her.

  "Callisthenes?" she asked.  I set the amulet down and looked up at my mother.

  "Yes?" I responded.  My mother sighed, and straightened out her already perfect gown, that was a pale gold with green designs etched into pictures that complemented her eyes.

  "I thought that I should tell you about what happens when you... marry someone," she began.  I groaned

  "No, please. Father already taught me everything. Do I need to learn it again?" I asked.  My mother stood up straighter and huffed.

  "When you address me, you must have the air of the princess you are," she scolded.  I nodded, then cleared my throat and smoothed out the skirt of my own gown.

  "I apologize, mother," I said sheepishly.  My mother nodded authoritatively.

  "That is more like it," she said.  She held out her hand to me, palm facing up.  I placed my amulet in her hand.  She closed her fingers around it, then started to walk out of my room.  I hurriedly got up and followed.

  "Callisthenes, how old are you?" she asked, continuing to walk, her gown billowing behind her.  I thought for a moment.

  "Eighteen?" I asked.  I had no idea.  My mother sighed, shaking her head.

  "Yes, you are eighteen.  Did you forget?" she asked.  I shrugged.  She hit me in the arm.  "You will speak verbally to me," she said, cradling my amulet to her chest with her other hand.

  "I am sorry, mother.  And yes, I did forget," I said, mentally rolling my eyes.  My mother actually rolled her eyes.

  "Enough with this foolishness.  We shall greet your father, then I shall give you a lesson on manners," she said. 

  "Yes, mother," I said.  I followed after my mother through the palace, the guards greeting us with small nods.  A few servants scattered away from my mother's terrifying glare.  I gave them an apologetic look as I passed.

  My mother led me through a large doorway, two dark oak doors wide open to allow us entrance.  This doorway led to my father's thrown room.  A maroon rug carpeted a path to stairs that rose to three, golden thrones.  Each as elegant as the last.  Large, marble pillars lined the room, a guard positioned at each one, brandishing a spear.