Not Going To Hide

I awoke to the sound of pots and pans being taken out of various cupboards and shelves. I rubbed my eyes and attempted to sit up, but I felt Elena's hand still slung around my waist. I looked behind me to see her eyes opened and staring right at me.

"Hey..." She said quietly.

I exhaled a breath. "Hey..."

"You okay?" She asked in a gentle tone.

I smiled a little and nodded. "It just aches a bit..." I said, bringing a hand to my neck and finding a gauze patch over the...wound... I didn't remember putting anything over it. I didn't remember much from last night, but I remembered all the important parts. Everything after that was a blur.

She raised her eyebrows, probably at how calm I was. I had been very calm since I got back to the house last night. But the truth was that I wasn't calm at all. I was freaking out on the inside. But could I really be blamed for trying to hide my wavering emotions? I'm Veena Gilbert. I don't allow myself to depend on anyone. I don't allow myself too grow too attached to someone, other than family of course. But most of all;

I do not get emotional. That's not allowed. Emotions were put under the Do Not Disturb category after my parents died.

I cleared my throat. "Do we have any Advil?"

"Yeah, let me get it." She said, nearly exploding out of the bed to grab the medicine. I used the time in which she was gone to face reality on my own. Vampires existed. There was at least one living in town and he was just using Caroline for blood. Yeah, maybe that assured me of this reality.

Elena came back with a glass of water and the medicine bottle. I hurriedly took both objects from her and swallowed down two of the tablets.

"How are you really doing Veena?" Elena asked in a worried tone. "It's a lot to take in, and I understand if you're upset over what happened last night. If it helps, I plan on having someone kick Damon's ass." I let out a small laugh and didn't say anything else on the topic.

Elena had different ideas.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?" I took in a deep breath and let it out slowly. I may as well face it, right?

"Well, after I called you I found their house. I knocked on the door, but no one answered and the door was wide open, so I walked in and started calling out for Carol- Oh my god, Caroline!" I said, realizing I never made sure she was alright.

"She's fine," Elena assured me. "Stefan healed her."

I drew my eyebrow together. "Huh?"

"Vampire blood does that, it can heal humans." She explained.

"So Stefan is a vampire too?" Elena slowly nodded. "And you're okay with that?"

"He doesn't survive off of humans, he drinks animal blood even though it makes him less strong than he could be. He won't hurt me." She clarified. "He's proven that."

"For your sake, I hope you're right." I drew my eyebrows together. "If you're up here, and Jeremy never cooks, who's in the kitchen?"

"Stefan... He wants to talk to you. He figured he may as well make breakfast." She said.

I sighed and got out of bed. "We may as well get to it then, right?" She smiled a little and nodded. I offered her my hand and helped her up. I made my way downstairs with Elena firmly grasping my hand.

"Veena, hey..." Stefan said lightly.

"Would you guys please stop acting like you're about to tell me the world is ending?" I asked. "I know exactly what happened. I know the truth, okay?" My eyes glanced between them, seeing if they would agree. They glanced at each other and Stefan nodded, Elena following his lead.