Chapter 6

Thalia's POV
By the time we reached Lothlórien, Legolas was very pale, unconscious and not moving at all. When we saw a group of guards Artemis dismounted quickly and ran over. The leader, a tall elf with blonde hair who I presumed was Haldir, greeted her cordially.
"Artemis! What brings you here? I thought you were in Mirkwood."
"I was," she said, and explained the story as succinctly as she could. "You have to let us in! He will die!"
"I do not trust the girl. She is of Thranduil's people."
Artemis glared at Haldir. "And what of Legolas and I? We are his kin!"
Haldir said nothing.
"Please, Haldir," Artemis begged. "I have travelled far with this girl, and she defied the King to be with Legolas. Surely you cannot group her with him? We have nowhere else to go, and if we do not hurry Legolas will die!" She looked Haldir in the eye. He moved forward to examine Legolas' pale face.
"Please?" I pleaded. Haldir stepped back.
"Where will you stay?" he asked.
"My quarters. It's big enough. And stop trying to bluff, there are plenty of places we could stay."
Haldir looked a little sheepish that his bluff had been noticed. He covered quickly, saying, "Would you like me to send a healer?"
"We brought one," Artemis explained, pointing to me.
"I need to research. I don't know how to heal him, this is a new poison," I said.
Haldir nodded. "You may enter."
As we rode in, Artemis called back to Haldir, "I can't believe a princess has to beg to get into her own realm!"
He laughed and shooed Gil-galad onwards.

After we passed into Lothlórien a few elves came bearing a stretcher for Legolas. Haldir must have mentioned that Legolas was very sick. They carefully lifted him onto it and took him away.
"Where are you taking him?" I called out.
"To the healer's. They will be able to cure him," one of the Lothlórien elves replied.
"But wait!" I hurried after him."I want to help."
He looked at me kindly and I felt like a child who was being gently told off.
"Don't worry. We have professional healers here who can deal with his illness properly." I felt offended at the way he said professional but I didn't want to delay the process by arguing.
"Can I at least stay near him while he is being healed?"
He hesitated. "I don't think that would be wise. There are plenty of chambers in which you can get some rest. You look like you need it." Frustrated, but defeated, I walked off. I asked a nearby elf if there was a library. I still wanted to see if I could find a cure. Soon after she pointed the way I started browsing book after book looking for anything that might help. I became immersed in a large volume called "Healing Herbs of Lothlórien and Their Uses" but it was hard to tell if something would be useful or not. Someone tapped me on the shoulder and I jumped. But it was only Artemis.
"Have you found anything? I'm really worried, the Lothlórien healers don't know how to cure him. They say it is a new poison, one they have never encountered before."
"No, but maybe you can help. Two pairs of eyes are faster than one. Look for anything to do with poisons."

An hour later I found something.
"Cuivie," I read. "Good for unusual poisons and infections. Can be found in southwest garden."
"Perfect!" Artemis cried. "I will direct you to the southwest garden right now. Come on!" I found the path and the garden easily. What was harder to find was the herb itself. The book had described it accurately but I could not find it. Before I knew it, an hour had passed and I had a feeling I was in the wrong place.

Another hour passed before I saw anything. And the only thing I saw was Artemis running to me.
"Did you find it?" she asked.
"Not yet, will you help?"
"Alright. However you've somehow moved from the southwest garden to the southeast garden. The southwest garden is over here," she answered, leading me to the correct area. We searched for another hour until I finally found the plant. We ran jubilantly back to the library to find out how to use the herb.

"Boil in water for one hour," Artemis read. "Place leaves on wound and give water to patient to drink."
"This is taking so long!" I complained.
"But it looks like it's the only hope we have," Artemis reminded me.

An hour later, the medicine was ready. We sprinted as fast as we could to the Lothlórien healers' ward. The doors were closed and a healer was standing guard.
"You have to let us in!" I pleaded.
"I'm very sorry miss but we have a dying elf in here. And not just any elf, a prince of both Mirkwood and Lothlórien. You will have to forgive me." I opened my mouth to reply but Artemis stopped me.
"Leave it to me," she whispered. Then she started talking firmly and authoritatively, her words fuelled by her anger and fear for Legolas.
"Excuse me, but that dying elf in there is my brother, and in case you didn't know I am a princess. Princess Artemis, niece of Lady Galadriel and daughter of King Thranduil. Do you not know me? I have lived here for over two thousand years and I say that my friend Thalia needs to see Legolas. She might be the only one here who can actually cure him so excuse us if we GO IN AND SAVE HIS LIFE!" Her voice rose to a shout. The guard looked taken aback and he meekly waved us through. We heard footsteps behind us as Haldir came running.
"I heard shouting. What is happening?" Artemis said nothing, just grabbed him by the arm as we ran inside.
"Everyone out!" Artemis barked. The healers scurried. I saw Legolas in the corner and I rushed to kneel beside him. He was thrashing again so I told Artemis and Haldir to hold him down. I poured the boiled water down his throat and pressed the leaves onto the wound. To begin with, nothing happened. I rapidly muttered the special healing spells I had learned, in the hope that they would help the potion speed up. Agonisingly slowly, Legolas started to relax. The leaves on his arm were drawing the poison out and the boiled water was flushing it from his bloodstream. I removed the leaves and cleaned the now poison-free arrow wound. After a while he slowly opened his eyes. Artemis sagged in relief as he started talking.
"Thalia, is that really you? Or am I just dreaming..."
"No." I squeezed his hand gently. "It's really me." He smiled. I barely noticed Artemis and Haldir sneaking off behind me to give us some privacy.
"I thought I was going to lose you," he murmured.
"And I thought I was going to lose you. Any longer and-" My voice broke and I couldn't continue. Legolas brushed my cheek gently with his hand.
"Thank you, Thalia. For saving me. And for everything else." His hand moved to the small of my back and my heart rate quickened. Taking the hint, I leant down and softly brushed my lips against his, carefully, like he would break at any moment. Legolas barely reacted to begin with, but then he pressed his lips firmly to mine, as if to assure himself that this wasn't part of any post-sickness delirium. Before we could get too carried away, my long hair brushed against Legolas' neck and he couldn't help but giggle at the sensation, prompting us both to pull back as laughter overcame us. I rested my hand over Legolas' as our laughter faded into dimpled smiles and I felt a warmth inside that I hadn't felt in a long, long time. Our love may have been forbidden but it felt like the only real thing in the world.

A/N: so we changed that last bit because it was a bit cringe (okay, a lot)