Chapter Four

It was a couple days after Josh had taken me to lunch. He and I were sitting behind the counter arguing about why turning eighteen was such a big deal.

“You’re an adult.” He said.

“Yes, but I don’t know how to do the adulty stuff.” I whined, my forehead resting on the countertop.

“No one does. That’s why there are so many idiots. Like me!” I could just picture that stupid grin he always wore.

“You could say that again…” I muttered, picking up my head and looking at him with a mocking smirk.

He rolled his eyes. “Don’t you have any crushes who are older than you? Now you can go after them.”

I laughed. “I’m pretty sure the legal age of consent is seventeen here.”

“Oh.” he said quietly, looking at the counter in thought.

    Suddenly, Liam burst into the shop, tears streaming down his face. “MOM!” he screamed.

    Josh and I exchanged looks before jumping up and running after him. I grabbed him and held onto him. "What happened?" I asked.

    "Where's mom?" He cried.

    "She went out for a couple of hours, Liam. What happened?" Josh asked.

    "It's Reed! He was hit, and now he's in the hospital!"

    "Oh my god." I said.

    "Get in the car." Josh said. "We're going to go look for your mom." He lightly shoved Liam and I towards the door.

---

    "Where did she say she was going to be?" Josh asked, as Liam continued to cry loudly from the back.

    "I don't know." I said. I pulled my seat belt so I could manoeuvre to sit so I was facing Liam. "Okay, Liam. You need to calm down. We're looking for mom. We'll go see Reed in just a couple minutes if we still can't find her." I said.

             "Have you tried calling her?" Josh asked.

"Yes, Josh! I have! She's not answering!" I snapped, without meaning to.

    "Geez, you need to calm down." He said.

    "I am calm! I'm perfectly calm!"

    "I don't see how! Your brother was just hit and is now in the hospital!"

    That caused Liam to start crying even louder.

    "Oh great." Josh and I muttered at the same time.

    "You know what? Take us to the hospital! Just take us to the hospital!" I cried.

    "But your m-."

    "She's not answering!" I yelled over my brother's cries.

    "Fine!" Josh yelled back.

---

    "We're here for Reed Clarkson." I said to the front desk lady. I had my arm around my brother's shoulders, and Josh stood behind us.

    "Relation?"

    "I'm his sister, and this is his brother." I nodded to Liam.

    "And him?" She pointed to Josh.

    "Guardian?" I shrugged. "Friend. More or less." I said.

    "Ebony?" I heard a voice say from behind the lady.