Falling for Devon... <3 [Chapter 4]

[Chapter 4]

I walked out of the office hoping that the 'Good Luck' Mrs. Chavez had wished me would actually get me through the day. Walking at a slow pace, I was lead to my own ugly grey locker and was given that key by Olivia. She was still all smiles and was humming a song under her breath which I seemed to recognize as "I'm Coming Home" by Diddy. I was put all of the books that I had collected from the library into it and locked it again.

This first day seemed to go pretty smoothly, and I honestly owed it to Olivia who helped me find my way around. During lunch, she introduced me to some of her friends, still with that enormous smile inhibiting her face. To be honest, her girly look and constant smile was beginning to grow on me, and I needed to chuckle from time to time because of the way she acted.

"So, you liking Seattle so far?" I was sitting opposite from one of Olivia's friends who was asking me tons of questions. "Don't worry, you get used to how big it is after a while." I nodded, barely hearing what she was saying to me because of my sudden curiousity of the huge cafeteria that I was sitting in.  She had been introduced to me as Soraya,  and had right away seemed really nice. Although she too was completely cheerful, I felt more comfortable around her than around Olivia. No offence to her at all. You could tell that Soraya had some Latino features. She was tall, and honestly I couldn't get over how pretty her eyes were. Her hair was almost as long as mine, but seemed to be curled near the ends and looked darker as well.

My thought were interrupted by a couple guys laughing and I was right away snapped back into the real world, realizing Soraya had been talking to me and I had completely zapped out. They were both holding their trays and getting ready to sit down at our table. Behind them a really quiet girl followed. I was surprised to see that Olivia and Soraya hung out with a bunch of guys.

"Sorry to break it to you Soraya, but the new girl ain't really listening to what you've got to say." He put his tray down slowly, and reached over to shake my hand. "Hey New girl, I'm Jordan Ray." He winked at me as he introduced himself and gave out a smile.

'Hey, I'm Kayley. Kayley Parker." I replied in a relaxed tone. In Denver, I seemed to only hang out with the guys and seemed to avoid the girl gang. They were the complete opposite of me, wearing mini skirts and heels, always trying to impress the guys. Don't get me wrong, hanging out with Olivia and Soraya was totally fine with me, I had just felt relieved when the guys came, making it obvious that they hung out with them aswell. Jordan had darker skin than all of us, and his brown frizzy hair kept falling in front of his brown eyes. He let go of my hand in order to push it out of his way, but kept staring at me.

"Oh." He finally said, realizing that silence was beginning to become awkward but also seeing that my eyes began to look at the table wanting to break the connection between us. "Mmmmm... This is Steve." He pointed over to the guy who was sitting next to him. Steve right away got up and just like Jordan, leaned in to shake my hand.

"Hey Kayley. Nice to meet you." He winked at me and sat back down. I was still eyeing the shy girl that was just sitting there trying to avoid my gaze. "Who's she?" I whispered over to Olivia who was sitting right next to me.

"That's Amy." She whispered it back obviously not wanting her to hear. "She arrived here about two years ago, and randomly started hanging out with us." I analyzed her. She looked up and as soon as she noticed my gaze, she quickly looked down again. "She has an older brother. He's in our grade but he's about a year older. He came back to this school last summer. No one know why he had left it in the first place." She looked at me with a stern expression which made me curiously look into Amy's direction. "She's a bit strange, and also pretty shy. She hardly ever talks."

"What's his name?" I asked curiously.

"I think his name is Devon or something." She thought about this for a second. "Yes... it's Devon. Devon Brown. He is like one of the most popular guys in the school!" This was a surprising fact. Amy didn't seem to have many friends, but her brother was known by everyone. How unfair! Questioningly I looked around the cafeteria, checking if maybe I could spot the popular crowd. Nope. No sign of them anywhere. You could always recognize them from a far, even if you were completely new.