Eliminating Noise

Dedicated to NinasInLove, for the banner on the side!  Thanks again!!!  Also, I don't claim ownership to any of the images used in the creation of the cover or fan art on the side of subsequent chapters.

Noise: In digital images, it is a generally undesirable and unappealing grained look imitating flecks of color or spots on the image. 

Clack.

Inhale.

Bu-dun.

Clack.

Exhale.

Bu-dun.

Clack.

Inhale.

Bu-dun.

                The repetitious clatter of my constant pace on the sidewalk, along with the persistent pounding of my heartbeat, filled my ears and eliminated the noise around me.  Focusing on the two unique sounds, I blocked out the angry drivers honking, chatty businessmen on their cell phones, and complaining children bickering.  I eliminated every real sound around me, but I couldn’t block out the noise within.  I tried harder and harder, but my efforts were futile.  I never was successful at cancelling out the lingering condemnation of my mother’s voice.  So I settled.  If I couldn’t have inner-peace, I could appreciate the muted outside world. Silence, save two steady sounds, could not have been more calming amidst a life of pure chaos.

                It was a breezy winter afternoon, the wind kissing my face and bringing unemotional tears to my eyes.  My eyes often did this, especially during the winter.  I tried blinking more frequently, but that didn’t seem to help much.  I considered pulling a tissue out of my coat pocket, but the cost of my hand escaping its warm place of hibernation was simply not worth it.  Batting my eyes, I allowed the tears to stream down my face and continued with my walk to work.

                Being a Tuesday night, I had the late night shift.  I hated the late shift, but without fail I worked it every Tuesday of every week for the past year.  I never quite understood why One Hour Photo needed a late shift, but apparently we did so I worked it.  Despite disliking my job, it was better than the alternative.  Without work, I wouldn’t have the income my family needed.  Nor would I have the excuse to spend time away from my mother’s house. 

                Somewhere during the inherently dull hour long employee training session, the store philosophy had been drilled in my mind a hundred times.  “One hour is all it takes to make your memories last a lifetime.”  It was the most clichéd business slogan I had ever heard.  Who wanted their memories to last a lifetime?  I wished most of mine could be forgotten.  But as the assistant assistant manager to the One Hour Photo Central Austin Location #472, it was my job to exude the motto and assure our customers that their “memories” were safe in our hands.  So as I turned the corner and approached the front door, I straightened my obligatory smiley face pin on my apron and attempted to make my own face mimic it. 

                Opening the door, I groaned at the overtly cheerful chime of the bell.  It chimed every time the door opened, which was supposed to embody a “small town, family owned” feel about the place according to our manager, Roger.  I turned to look at the clock above the door as I headed in.  The same joyful smiley face that I wore on my apron grinned back at me from the center of the clock.  The franchise owners really outdid themselves on creating a happy experience for their customers.  It was nauseating. 

                The clock read 4:53pm.  I my shift did not start until 5.  I pulled my straight blonde hair back and trapped it into a bun in one smooth motion at the nape of my neck.  I sighed as I looked up to see a nearly purple-faced Roger practically running towards me.  Here we go.  I braced myself to see what his mini-drama today was.