8. Nomad

8. NOMAD

I needed to know everything.

“Where are we?” I slapped a hand over my mouth, remembering the last time I’d asked Christopher Bale the question. Shivering, I shook off the memory of his scary death glare.

The menacing look he gave me was slightly worth the slip of the tongue.

“I mean…” Trailing off, I tried to save myself. “Where are we, uh, going?”

Shaking his head, he laughed shortly.

“You’ll see when we get there.”

“Tell me about werewolves already!” I whined, desperate to know where I came from. Besides, you know, a vagina.

Or at least I thought I did.

Now sitting in the passenger seat next to him, I had badgered him endlessly since the moment I awoke.

There were only two slightly comforting factors of travelling in Christopher Bale’s fast car.

One, it was quiet. All I could hear was the whistle of wind rustling around the Impala, save for the few times we stopped for gas. Other than that, my ‘super senses’ were barely noticeable.

Two – Christopher Bale had to be the most easily angered human (uh, werewolf) on the planet.

“When we’re there, I will.” I didn’t miss the worried expression that crept over his face, marring his rugged features in a way that almost made me forget he was a monster.

Almost.

“Aw, don’t know what to say?” I mocked him in an accusing tone. “Is there some huge secret or something? Are we actually cats?”

He shot me an incredulous glance, nearly swerving off the road and causing us to plummet to our deaths. (That is, if a measly fall could kill people like us.)

I violently grabbed onto the wheel, straightening the car out as we slid to a stop.

Bombarded with flash backs to childhood cartoons of angry creatures with steam coming out of their ears – I couldn’t help but compare them to Christopher himself.

Trying not to snicker, I watched as he pinched the bridge of his nose, tilting back his head and breathing heavily.

Cats?” He choked out the word, grinding his teeth together.

“Um,” I avoided his squinting stare, knowing it would anger him further. “Like, mutant cats. Furries?”

I laughed uncertainly, wincing at the high-pitched noise.

“Pathetic.”

Looking around uncomfortably, I laughed once more.

“What do you mean?”

“It’s incredible.” He closed his eyes for a second as we stopped at a traffic light, opening them as we drove away. “Between you and Stone, somehow you were the better choice.”

My voice grew cold. “That one is your fault.”

Giving me a tight-lipped smile, he spoke.

“Your fault too babe, next time don’t go off at night stalking a big, scary wolf.”

“Ugh.” I scoffed, crossing my legs and  looking out into the dark, night air.

“Consider yourself lucky. I’m not the worst of our kind out there, if you can believe it.” I rolled my eyes. Yeah right.

“So, speaking of our kind… are we there yet?” I threw him a crooked grin, waiting for him to kill me.