Chapter 3

I hold my breathe as I turn to look at who has spoken, although I already have an idea who the voice belongs to. Before I can say anything, let alone introduce myself, Charles beat me to the punch.

"Hey brother, this is my lovely, Ava Santos."

The man before me raises an eyebrow when he hears Charles call me his lovely.

"I didn't know you had a girlfriend Charles. I must say, I'm quite surprised. Didn't take you to be the relationship type." He spoke, not even giving Charles a glance. His blue eyes that I find myself already lost within, were staring right at me, assessing me nonetheless. My cheeks begin to sting, knowing quite well I was beginning to feel flustered by his intense stare. 

Oh boy.

"Lovely here has been the only one to tame my heart. She's quite lucky to have someone like me."

I feel my cheeks sting even more. I love my best friend, but he is too much sometimes. I elbow his side slightly, warning him to knock it off. Charles must have picked up on my discomfort and winks at me.

"Lovely, this is my brother. The almighty Cyrus Dean."

"When will you grow up brother. Cyrus will do just fine." The man replies, he is obviously starting to get annoyed with the conversation based on the scowl on his face.

"Nice to meet you Cyrus. You...you have a very nice home."

I'm pretty sure he knows that Ava, why couldn't you say anything else? I'm sorry for listening to your conversation? I love your library? How many books do you own? I can't help but feel even more embarrassed.

Cyrus gave me a nod and thanked me for the compliment.

"Follow me. I'll show you around."

Ah...thank you, but no thank you. I turn my gaze from Cyrus to my best friend. Charles obviously didn't see anything wrong with it and nodded his head.

"Enjoy yourself lovely, I'll be here." Charles leans in and gives me a kiss on the forehead, sending me on my way.

Yeah so much for me taming your heart lover boy. Just feed me to the shark why don't you.

I was going to give him an earful when I have the chance. I don't even know his brother. Why would I want to follow him around his house? Sure I said he had a nice home, but I was just being nice.

Gosh Charles.

"That would be nice, thank you." I lie, not really knowing what to say. Charles goes back to his mingling. I look at Cyrus who is already beginning to walk away.

Yeah sure, I'll just follow you around Mr. Almighty.

I scoff and quickly walk to catch up to him.

I stay a few steps behind him, accessing him from behind. He is tall. Much taller than I thought, about 6'3" if I had to guess. His dark brown hair was short and well kept. He walks with grace in his crisp black suit that accentuates his strong shoulders. I have to put a kick into my step just to keep up with his pace.

Slow down long legs, I can't walk so fast in heels.

"That's the kitchen." He says in a matter of fact voice as he points to where a group of people have formed around the kitchen island, surrounded by so much food. I look around and nod, complimenting him on his kitchen as well. He didn't even bother to look back at me or even acknowledge my compliments as we walk past the kitchen and group of people. He points at the artwork hanging on the walls as we walk a long hallway, telling me the names of the artwork and artists. To be honest I have no idea who they are so I just continue to nod but it's useless. He has yet to even turn back to look at me. I begin to worry as I notice there aren't any guests in this part of the house, but decide not to over think anything...just yet. We reach the end of the hallway when Cyrus turns to the door on the left and opens the door, he walks right in, not even bothering to wait for me. I slow down to a stop right outside the door, confused.

I'm not going in there. I turn around and let out a soft yelp when I notice the two men from upstairs right behind me. Oh shit, where did they come from?

"The boss is waiting for you inside. He wants to have a little talk."  One of them says to me. He's about 6'0". He has a scar on his right eyebrow. He has a husky build and by the judge of the other who stands by his side, I wasn't going to be able to out run or take them down.

My mouth goes dry. I decide to comply. I nod and walk into the same room Cyrus had a few moments before. I take a few steps in and wait as the two men behind me walk in after me, closing the door. I turn back to look and notice they have stopped and are now guarding the door.

If I make it out of here alive, I'm going to murder you Charles.

I avert my attention back when I hear the same voice from upstairs. Full of power and authority. It makes the hairs on my skin stand tall.

"Sit. Now tell me who do you work for, lovely?"

.

.

.

xO, Jasmine.