Neva Saw It Comin' (excerpt)

This is the first chapter to my short story "Neva Saw It Comin'", featured in Red Bud Ave Publications' "Tales From The Lou". I plan to release an eBook edition of my short story in 2012. Here is a preview. I welcome your comments.

PeaceLoveHappiness

Lm...

Raven             Chapter 1

“I wish I could find one faithful man!” my sister Imani lamented as she sulked in the passenger seat of my 2008 Chevy TrailBlazer. Just moments before, she and I caught her boyfriend Vincent Wheeler at his apartment with another woman between his legs.

“Damn that!” I nearly screamed as I started the ignition. “No woman should go through this hell! I wish any man that cheats on me drops dead in the other woman’s pussy!”

I smirked as I saw Vincent’s half naked body in my rearview mirror as he shouted Imani’s name. Just as Vincent was joined by his female companion, I yelled out the window as I peeled out of the parking lot.

“Watch your back cuz if I ever see you around my sister, I’ll fuck you up!”

“RAVEN!” Imani exclaimed as a bolt of lightning flashed across the sky. Sudden weather changes in St. Louis didn’t faze me or my driving skills. Instead, I braced myself for the thunder. Not from the storm but from Imani! “How could you say such a thing?!?”

“Because this isn’t the first time this has happened to either one of us not to mention countless others, both male and female. I mean REALLY?!? Is it that hard to be faithful to one person these days?” I inquired as a roll of thunder echoed over us. It was at least a decibel lower than my sister!

“That doesn’t mean you should wish harm on someone,” Imani stated as she turned on my car stereo. “Remember what goes around…”

“Comes around,” I finished, gently swatting Imani’s hand as I turned the radio to Foxy 95.5FM to listen to The Michael Baisden Show. With a raised eyebrow and instantly piqued interest in what my sister was implying, I asked, “So are you saying that you cheated on Vincent?”

“No!” Imani blushed as much as a mocha skinned sista could. “I mean that what you put out comes back to you and because I was faithful in my relationships, including with Vincent, the Lord will send me the man that’s right for me.”

Holding back a giggle at Imani’s Pollyanna attitude, I couldn’t help saying, “But I thought Vincent was your ‘man sent from God’. Are you telling me you were supposed to be cheated on?”

“Raven, you’re twisting my words,” Imani huffed.

Seeing that I was upsetting my sister, I dropped the subject and instead focused on the radio show. And wouldn’t you know that today’s topic was about cheating mates!

I still wish a man would dare to cheat on me and think he’ll get away with it!

Lightning flashed simultaneously as thunder rolled overhead. Deftly, I navigated the chaotic St. Louis traffic to guide us safely to my favorite Steak ‘n Shake location.

“It’s my own fault,” Imani said quietly, looking out of the passenger side window.

I didn’t respond until seconds later when we paused at a red light. “How is it your fault, Imani? Did you make him put that skank between his legs with her head all buried up in his lap?”