Chapter 4

(A/N: I am going to change her age to 8 years old. That way she is about two years older than Gaara and Naruto.)

-Hikari's P.O.V.-
Then moon was high in the sky and I couldn't sleep. I looked down at Naruto who was curled up into my side. He had come crying into my room about an hour ago after he had a nightmare of the villagers. I clenched my fist slightly as slight anger boiled inside of me at the thought of those villagers hurting such a sweet child. I let out a deep breath to calm myself down. I didn't want to risk scaring my Otouto. I looked at the clock hanging on the wall above the door. 1:27 a.m.. I sighed and closed my eyes as I attempted to fall asleep, but it just wasn't coming to me. I heard a small creak come from the roof as someone stepped onto it. I carefully untangled Naruto from me. After about five minutes of trying I finally got free. I sweatdropped when I saw that as soon as I freed myself and got out of bed Naruto had spread out on the bed like a starfish. I walked towards the window then pulled myself up onto the roof. What I wasn't expecting was to meet a face full of sand that nearly knocked me off the roof as soon as I got up there. I dove to the side and rolled in order to avoid the wall of sand that had come attacked me. I looked around and saw Gaara looking at me with wide eyes. I saw fear in them, but not fear of me as much as fear that I would hate him.
I slowly walked over to him, and he looked down as I approached. I kneeled down infront of him and he squeezed his eyes shut. "Are you okay, Gaara?"
His head snapped up so fast I thought he would get whiplash. His eyes widened to the point that I thought his eyes would pop out. Tears began to gather at the corner of his eyes and I pulled him into a hug. I felt him flinch probably surprised that I could hug him without Shukaku attacking me. I am guessing that the Ichibi sensed Romo inside of me. I tightened my grip slightly as he cried on my shoulder, accepting the comfort. I ran my fingers through his red hair until all I could hear were his sniffles. I looked down and saw he had fallen asleep. I put on finger to his forehead and entered his mindscape like Romo had taught me to do. During the time Naruto had lived with me I had already introduced him to Kurama. At first first the Kyuubi tried to attack, but Romo appeared and began giving Kurama a big long lecture. It was so funny! The fox looked like a kid caught with his hand (or paw in his case) in the cookie jar! After a while Kurama grew to accept the two of us. I know he will never admit it, but I think he has grown rather fond of us. Still, he doesn't talk to much. Kurama is so lazy that he is asleep 90% percent of the time. The Almighty Kyuubi ladies and gentlemen! Bow down to the King of Sleep!
Anyways, I channeled some of my chakra into Gaara's head and entered his mindscape. I was surrounded by what seemed to be an endless desert. I looked around and suddenly the ground began to shake. A giant cage came out of the ground and inside was the Giant raccoon, the Ichibi.
"Ah! The brat finally fell asleep!" he began to laugh crazily.
"SHUKAKU!!!" I shouted to be heard over his laughter. He stopped abruptly and glared down at me.
"WHAT'S ANOTHER BRAT DOING IN HERE!?" He exclaimed.
"I came to ask you to let Gaara sleep and to try and get along with him." I told him without wavering. To me this guy was more annoying and loud then scary. Maybe I have just gone crazy or something.
"BWAHA! Why would I listen to you!?" He asked.
"It's his seal. It's a miracle it even held him at all. I have never seen such a horribly done seal. Actually, if I had to guess, part of Shukaku doesn't want to leave the boy. If he really did he would have busted out long ago." I heard Romo's voice as he slowly appeared behind me. He put his hand on my shoulder and the knowledge to fix the seal flowed into my head. I took the advantage of Shukaku being frozen in shock from seeing the sage of six paths and quickly set to work. About ten minutes of work later I had finished. I stepped back and looked up at Shukaku. I sweatdropped at the still gawking Sand demon.
"H-Hey, Dad." I anime fell. He hasn't seen his Romo in how long and that is the first thing he says.
"Hey, Old Guy. I think we broke Shukaku." I say as look look at the Ichibi who has now returned to silence.
"Old Guy?" He asked to which I just shrugged my shoulders.
"Hey kid! Don't talk to Dad like that!" The Ichibi finally speaks up. Just to annoy him I ignored him and started up a random conversation with Romo. I saw a spark of amusement in his eyes as he knew what I was doing. By now Shukaku was yelling at me and acting like a spoiled kid. I found the sudden change in personality rather funny. When it seemed like he was ready to rip the bars off the cage I turned to him.
"Did you say something?" I asked with an innocent smile.
"GAAAH!" He shouted in frustration before he curled up in a ball in the corner of his cage with Emo lines above his head as he cried in defeat. Both Romo and I sweatdropped.
"Hello there, Shukaku." The Ichibi's ears perked up as he turned around like a loyal puppy (or raccoon). "I would like you to meet a friend of mine. This is Hikari Jin. She is gathering the Jinchuriki so that she can give both the Jinchuriki and Bijuu a home. I have been helping her with this." The sage smiled at the Bijuu.
"Eh? This kid?" The raccoon squinted at me. I nodded my head ignoring the slight annoyance that had sparked within me. I love all the Bijuu, but something about Shukaku had always annoyed me a bit. The Bijuu's eyes widened for a second as if he just realized something.
"You fixed the seal?" I resisted the urge to anime fall again. I mean he JUST realized that!?
"Yeah." I answered bluntly.
"Thanks, I owe you one. That crap seal was really irritating." He gives me a smile (or as much of a smile a raccoon can give).
"No problem, as Romo said I want to help the Jinchuriki and their Bijuu. I want to give them all a home where they can be accepted." I give him a closed eye smile.
"Why would you do that?"
"Because...I know what is like to feel rejected, alone, and outcasted." I give him another closed eye smile, but this time to avoid showing the pain in my eyes as memories of my past resurfaced. Romo put a comforting hand on my head and I relaxed. Shoving the bad memories to the back of my mind I opened my eyes. I caught a glimpse of sympathy and understanding in the beast's eyes which surprised me. Usually, I wouldn't want sympathy, but in this case I could tell that it wasn't out of pity, but rather out of sadness that someone as young as I did had to experience something like what I did rather than being able to be the child I should be. It felt more comforting than pity.
"I will try to get along with the Brat." Shukaku agreed. He may have called Gaara a Brat, but now it held a different feeling. There was no hatred or contempt. Rather it felt a bit more caring and accepting. Though if I said anything, like Kurama, I'm sure he'd deny it. A soft smile came to my face as Romo and I exited Gaara's mindscape. When I woke up Gaara was curled up next to me and we were laying down on the roof. I closed my eyes and drifted off into sleep, the soft smile still on my face.

(A/N: I know I haven't updated in a while. I was having some bad writers block for this story. Anyways I changed her age and now I think I am past the block!
YAY!!! )