23 // Mistaken

"Unbelievable," he muttered. He started back down the hallway, and I grabbed the collar of his flannel and brought him to a stop as I faced him. My eyes raced all around him, anywhere but his eyes. 

"Why are you even on this wing? You and the others are staying on the other side." 

"I wanted to watch you paint," he replied. 

"You really think Damien would have allowed that?" 

"You really are his pet, aren't you?" he laughed sickly. "Do you even realize what you've just done?" 

"It's not going to change anything--" 

"It's going to change everything," he waved his hands around. He was growing heated. "She's going to start questioning herself, Cyan, and she's going to start questioning if what she and Ace have are even real. I still feel the mate bond, you know, but she doesn't. Not anymore. Not if she stared into my eyes for a year on end." 

"You love her." 

"Is she the one I came to watch paint?" 

Both our jaws dropped. His gaze travelled down to the ring on my hand. 

"Figure," he rolled his eyes and ran a hand through his hair. "Tell me, did I even stand a chance?" 

"You're using me for the throne, Xander, what chance could there possibly be? If you simply let me go, if you let the throne go, you could have it all back. You could live in the Royal Palace with Alessia and be happy." 

"I'm banished from the Royal Palace, and Alessia is mated to Ace," he scowled. He tried to brush past me, but I placed a hand on his chest. He looked down at it, confused, and then back up at me. 

"Did you forget everything in the Luna Clause? If I marry Damien, he is unbanished for his crimes. As his equal, I have the power to unbanish you, too." 

"Why would you do that?" he furrowed his brow. 

"As the Luna of the entire Werewolf Species, I have a direct link to the Moon Goddess. If I showed her that you had changed, she may allow you to have Alessia again." 

"What about Ace?" 

"Look at you, caring about someone other than yourself. Already a good start," I grinned. 

"Answer the question, Cyan." 

"The Moon Goddess would give him another mate. He wouldn't feel pain, his connection with Alessia would just fade to indifference." 

"Why would you do that? Why separate two perfectly happy people for one unhappy bastard?"

"Just because you're so miserable all the time doesn't mean you deserve it," I muttered. 

He stalked towards me, pressing me up against the wall as he caged me in with his arms. 

"After I kidnapped you? Threatened to take your innocence? You still think I can be saved, with my ex-mate no less?" 

"Yes," I replied simply. 

"What if I found someone who could save me? Someone who isn't Alessia?"

"Name her, and she's yours. Anything to get you off my back." 

He leaned down by my ear, his hot breath fanning against my cheek.

"I can name her, and she's you, and believe me love, I'll have you on your back soon enough." 

___________

"Remind me to never take advice from Alessia ever again," I groaned as I slipped into the library. 

"Sleeping with the enemy?" 

I let out a yelp of surprise as I looked up to see Serena draped across one of the couches. I thought I was alone, but clearly I had company. The enemy, no less. Serena was cocky. She was a rogue, so I suppose that was to be expected. 

"Talking to myself," I muttered. 

"Humans are weird," she turned her attention back to the book placed in her lap. 

"Care to share something with me?"

 She raised her eyebrow in annoyance. Closing the book loudly, she sighed and slid it onto the glass coffee table. 

"Not particularly, but ask away."

"Xander." 

"Love triangles are a tricky thing," she took a sip from her glass. "Aren't they, honey?" 

"Tell me what his intentions are," I squeezed my eye shut. This was embarrassing, and awkward, and did I mention embarrassing? I wanted to melt into the couch cushions.

"It's obvious, isn't it? Then again, humans are always oblivious when it comes to the whole love thing." 

"Would you stop acting like I'm another species?" I hissed. 

"You're a subspecies, and an inferior one at that," she pointed out. No wonder she left civilization, Serena hated people. 

"What's obvious?" I tried to draw her back to the topic. 

"He's in love with you, but he's absolutely terrified to admit it." 

"I see no proof of that," I frowned. 

"His original plan was different than the little court room fiasco that just played out a little while ago." 

"How so?" I raised an eyebrow. 

She pressed her lips together, looking at me tentatively. This girl had no problem being a loud mouth when it came to anything but Xander. She was playing with fire, and she knew it. She got up from her seat and started pouring herself another glass of wine. She gestured at me, asking if I wanted one, and I politely declined. I had little control here as a human anyway, and adding intoxication to that equation would only put me at a further disadvantage. 

"He was going to kidnap you, we were going to get our treaty signed, and that would be the end of it," she shrugged.

"So what changed?" 

"He invited you and Damien over so that he could feel out your weaknesses, I guess he started to feel you out in other ways instead." 

"Ew," I commented. I rose from my seat. The truth made me itch. It wasn't possible, it couldn't be. I was not about to get caught in the middle of a brother oriented love triangle. Damien believed that his brother was doing this out of spite, and that was how his thought process would remain. As I was about to slip through the grand library doors, Serena's voice stopped me dead in my tracks. 

"You can say what you wish, but you cannot deny your attraction to both of them. Sooner or later, you'll have to choose. For once, I don't know the answer to who it will be." 

__________

Guess who's getting on a regulated posting schedule :) Me! 

Here's the lowdown of my plans with writing. 

-{UPDATES WILL OCCUR STARTING EVERY WEDNESDAY (AND FRIDAY IF I CAN) EVENING}

-XANDER'S BOOK/PREQUEL IS COMING SOON

50 faves & 25 comments would be faaaaantastic :) We hit #79 in Werewolf on Monday, and I would oh-so-love to hit #1. By the way, your comments make my day. More of you, please. 

Love ya 

xoxo 

Kaitlin