Chapter 15

The next day, we drove to Nate's house and parked outside. He used his key to open the door and he carefully walked inside.

As soon as I walked inside, I could smell cigarettes and cheep beer. It really did stink. There was clutter and beer cans left around and the mail hadn't been opened in at least a week judging by the pile to the side of the door.

The walls were really in need of a new coat of paint and the door to a room was falling off it's hinges. This place really needed some tlc.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?" His dad shouted as he suddenly emerged from a doorway.

"I had enough. I've found a new place to live. I'm done." He replied calmly.

"Who would want you?" His dad sneered.

"Me, hello." I waved from behind Nate and his dad looked startled to see me there.

"Who is that?" He asked.

"You know her, at least you used to." Nate replied.

His dad started to walk closer, peering at me. Nate took my hand and stood slightly in front of me to stop his dad from coming and nearer.

"You're that posh girl with the huge house." He finally said. "Yeah, your Mum is a right snob." He laughed a bit.

"Oi. Don't talk about my mum like that." I snapped back and instantly regretted it. He came closer.

"Don't shout at me. I mean, I bet you wouldn't dream of shouting at me if I hurt your precious little boyfriend." He smiled like a villain from a Disney movie and then backed off a little.

Nate suddenly grabbed my hand and dragged me up the stairs. They creaked with every step and there was a hole in one of the steps that I had to avoid.

When we got to his room he closed and locked the door before giving me the tightest hug he had ever given me. "I'm so sorry. I should have never made you come here." He said. I only just managed to hear him through the hug.

"It's okay." I replied as we pulled away. He just kept looking down at me. "Really, it's fine. I may not understand how bad he can get and I may not understand the lifestyle but I do know that this is definitely not a place for you or for anyone to live in and grow up in." I explained.

"You are the best girlfriend in the whole world." He said with an almost happy smile. This place was obviously making him unhappy so I helped him pack his things and we ran downstairs with the bags.

"Nate honey?" His mum called.

"Mum?" He called, looking worried as he ran into a room. I didn't know what to do so I followed and hovered at the doorway.

"Please don't leave me here." She whispered to him just loud enough for me to hear.

"Bring her." I said quickly.

"What?" He asked as he turned around.

"She doesn't want to stay here. Bring her." I repeated softly.

"Really?" He asked. His face lit up and he smiled a little for the first time he arrived here.

"Yeah. I'll get these things and her into the car and you get some of her things." I replied as I picked up the bags and ran to the car. I plonked them into the boot and then got his mom into the passenger seat. His dad must have gone somewhere because his truck was gone and he wasn't in the house.

"Okay, lets go." Nate said after he had put the stuff in the boot and hopped in the car. "And hurry because dad's truck is coming down the road and fast." He replied as he turned around to look out of the back window. I slammed my foot down and my car shot off down the road.  

We managed to drive away and I got to mine and locked the gates. My mum was in and I explained to her what was going on.

"So you basically just kidnapped Nate's mum and drove off?" She asked and I nodded. She thought for a minute before saying, "Okay, she can stay in the room Nate used to stay in."

"Wait-" She cut me off

"I know you two are in the same room, same bed, it's fine." She told me.

"You really are the best Mum ever, you know that?"

"I do know that. Now go on, make our guests feel at home." She said as she pushed me towards them.

"Nate you can put your things in my room, you know where." I said. "Um Catherine you can come with me to the spare room that Nate used to stay in." I replied as I grabbed one of the two bags she brought and showed her the way.

"Thank you so much." She said as she looked at me.

"I want to do everything I can to help" I said with a slight smile.

"I can tell you are perfect for my Nate. I'd be happy for you to be my daughter." She smiled at me, she had small tears forming in her eyes. I on the other hand was practically choking on air.

"Well, i'd hardly say we're that far into the relationship, but thank you, it means a lot." I smiled at her after I had sorted myself out.

She just smiled back and then started unpacking.

I left her to it and went to see Nate.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine, all my things are unpacked." He replied.

"Good good. Your Mum just said she'd be happy for me to be her daughter." I told him.

"What did you say back?"

"I told her that I don't think we're quite that ready for such a big step yet but that it means a lot to hear her say that." I replied.

"I would have said the exact same." He said as he came closer to me.

"I'm glad we're on the same page." I laughed as he leaned in and kissed me.

"Me too." He replied before kissing me again. I smiled up at him. "Are you sure you don't mind my Mum staying here?" He asked.

"Of course I don't mind, she's your Mum, why would I?" I asked.

"I just think it's a bit too much for me to ask for." He said awkwardly.

"Hey, don't think like that." I told him. "I would do anything for you."

"And I would do anything for you." He replied. "But you really are the best girlfriend ever, thank you." I looked into his eyes and smiled when I realised how much he meant it.

"No problem." I smiled. "Now come on, we need to see what your mom wants for lunch." I said as I dragged him downstairs.