preface.

preface

"Despierta, mi neito." My infant ears detected the lulling coo of my sweet abuela's voice. As I reluctantly wakened, I was greeted with the foul incense of soot, its thick masses burning my emergent eyes. While my vision gradually grew accustomed to the haze, my body was abruptly seized into my grandmother's arms. It'd only been a mere seven months that I've known this woman and I've already grown to adore the very warmth of her person, the lingering scent of metal she always employed, and lastly - the most enamoring - the thump thump sound that raps in her chest. I haven't yet discovered what the enticing element was or meant, but, in due time, I'll have full knowledge of the aspect and be able to tell my kids of its existence. I thought it amusing how Abuela's disposition was so placid around others yet when her silver irises would connect with my emerald ones, in an instant, she'd be elated and the thump thump that I venerated so much would quicken. Whilst in her arms, I allowed my heavy eyes to scour her coutenance; one that always held a smile, nothing more nor less. But, at this moment, she seemed uneasy. She inspected my room for a minute then began to run. Her breathing hitched with each foot fall and she peered down at me with pulsating orbs; something I thought was very peculiar. The gaze she maintained on me revealed something about her that - as of now - I hadn't the knowledge of, but I liked it. A wet substance trickled from her left eye and swam to her chin, where it and dangled for a moment before falling onto my cheek. A soft whimper bore through my lips due to the discomfort the cold substance gave me.

"Hush, Tev."

She palmed the whirls of my silken hair - which I'd stolen from my mother - and touched my forehead with her cracked lips. "Abuela's here, please don't be afraid." Her voice was desperate, as if she was begging me not to do as a child would when displeased and suffering the intolerable stage of ignorance. Grandmother halted with a thud and stayed put, mumming her lips with her finger.

Thump

Thump

Thump

The raps were quickening minute-by-minute. Why was she so afraid? I yearned desperately to know what had my beloved so uneasy, but could only produce another cry, much to her discontentment. Abuela scowled at me before sighing. She found a door and unlatched the locks before hesitantly exiting our dwelling. Instantaneously, we were struck with the inclement Xenon atmosphere. The afore soot that hindered my line of vison from the safety of my abode had worsened tremendously as we sunk deeper into the thick bowl of murk outside; it was virtually a myth to even think of seeing. Xenon was anarchic and grandmother gladly annexed the chaos, letting out a clarion cry.

"Avi, Oxoe!"

I've only ever heard her utter those names when she would acknowledge my mother and father. Perhaps that was why she'd been so distraught. She chanted their names relentlessly with no counteraction; as if she'd been having a quarrel with herself. Another droplet assaulted me and I moaned again, this time shedding a few droplets myself. Alas, the smoke was getting to me. Grandmother stopped, silent; the allaying thump thump ceasing to have ever lived. Out of impulse and guilty curiosity, I lifted my large eyes to meet her gaze and she hid her tomato face in shame. She knew, too, that it wasn't like her to release dejection.. Her chest heaved vigorously, inducing an uneasiness to settle in my tummy. I whimpered and she gave me an apologetic look.

After a short while, grandmother had handed me over to man I had once seen but hadn't fully captured the identity of. I stared into his milky features, his crystal eyes meeting my bland gaze. He heaved a gentle smile at me and fiddled lightly with my navel. I giggled. Though incoherent, I could percieve a heated dissent enlivening in the other room. I assume we'd been at my grandmother's, for the scent of metal hadn't ceased to pleasure my nostrils. The gentleman embracing me shifted in discomfort; the dissension occuring in the other room was gradually getting louder. I could see the outline of my Abuela's gaunt stature standing akimbo as she swiveled her head in displeasure. Another silhouette appeared and went in for Abuela's ear. For a minute, things were tranquil, still. Then, grandmother bellowed and collapsed to her knees, bawling. Hearing my beloved in such distress made a heavy thump thump rap in my chest as a wetness fell from my eyes. The mister took me even tighter in his arms, throwing me over his shoudler and grazing my back with his palm. He, too, smelled of metal with a slight hint of lavender. I grew comfortable in his arge arms and nestled my head into the crook of his neck.

thump

thump

thump

"Tev... Tev... Tev." I wakened with heavy eyes and discovered I'd again been migrated to a different setting. This one being my own home. There were many masses accumulated here, sobbing. I hadn't an inkling as to why the day had captured such a despondent essence, it vexed me. Grandmother, the one who'd wakend me, cocked a small smile and smushed her lips into my forhead as she'd done only hours ago. I giggled as she fiddled with my tummy and slapped her hands away so she'd stop the torment. The elation was short lived, as her countenance fell and she huffed saying: "My, Tev... I'll miss you dearly."

What was happening?

"I know you can't yet understand what's going but, just know that it's only for the best."

what was she saying?

I placed my tiny hand over her chest and relished the thump thump for what felt like the final time."Because your parents have been... they've been executed, you must go." She stopped and stifled a few sobs before caressing my cheek. "Abuela loves you very much, Tev. Now, go!" Just as she ordered of my departure, a vibrating thundered beneath me and I was off.

"Be free!" I heard her cry.

It wasn't until I bypassed a few lone reflectors that I learned I was drifting in a homely shuttle, slowly gravitating to what I captured to be Earth. I've only heard of the vessel in story books Abuela would read me and when I would overhear my mother and father speaking of its mishap and disorder.

Was this going to be my home?

New story, yay!

Hope you all enjoyed ♡