Chapter 3

I decided to lay down for awhile before the bonfire. I needed to get my thoughts all together; today was filled with an abundance of new information. It felt as if I was starting a brand new life and I basically was. I sat in my hammock with everything running through my head. I started to doze off to sleep when a noise from somewhere in the room startled me. I quickly sat up and looked around. At this point, the sun had already set but a small light in the corner of the Homestead allowed me to see where the noise came from. A boy about my age with brown short and brown eyes stood in the doorway. "I'm sorry to scare you, Newt sent me to come get you. He said that the fire is starting now." The boy said, leaning against the door frame. "Oh- I'm sorry, the names Thomas." He said with a smile.

"Nice to meet you Thomas. I still can't remember my name..." I replied.

"Don't worry, mine came back two days after I got here. I was the last greenie that came before you- except I came up in the box like everyone else did." He said. "Anyways, you ready to get going?" Thomas asked me. I swung my legs over the edge of the hammock and stood up, taking a big stretch as I did.

"Sure am. Lets go." I said, following Thomas out of the Homestead and into the middle of the Glade where a huge fire was. There were so many boys- more than I thought were in this place. Conversation and laughter filled the cool air. I got a few stares, but all of them seemed friendly and welcoming. I couldn't blame them, I don't think they've ever seen a female before. Thomas and I sat on a long log by the fire, the flames warming my face and allowing me to see everyone who had gathered around. Shortly after, Newt and Minho came over to us, Minho sitting on my right and Newt sitting next to Thomas. Newt leaned over towards me and handed me a bottle.

"Here you go, Greenie. Tonight's a night to celebrate." He said with a smile. I took the bottle and took a small sip. The taste was bitter and honestly disgusting, but it filled me with a warm, tingly feeling. It felt as if I was staring into the fire forever. The boys next to me were in a deep conversation but I couldn't focus. All of a sudden, the name appeared in my mind, front and center. All I had to do was grasp it.

"Heather-" I said bluntly while looking at my friends sitting next to me. Newt, who was in the middle of speaking lets his words come to a halt, looking at me confused. I repeated myself "My name is Heather."

The three of them smiled. Newt stood up on the log we sat on and yelled to get everyone's attention. "Our new Greenie- Heather!" He announced. The crowd erupted into cheers, throwing their fists in the air to celebrate me. I smiled so big, my first completely genuine smile since arriving in this strange place. I was truly happy for once, maybe it was just the alcohol or my three friends now standing next to me, but either way I didn't want it to end.

For the next half hour or so, Newt, Thomas, and I walked around the crowd, meeting more of the boys who would be my peers for God knows how long. Minho branched off from us, going somewhere else near the bonfire. I scanned the crowd, Newt and Thomas talking to someone right behind me. Everyone had a bottle in their hand, definitely enjoying themselves. There were so many boys, but they were all unique. All different races, shapes, and sizes. As my eyes scanned, they reached Minho, who has his side turned towards me and was talking to Alby. I must've been looking for a little bit longer than normal because Newt came up next to me, startling me slightly.

"You like him or something?" Newt asked while chuckling at me. I squinted my eyes and looked at him like he just spoke a different language.

"That's ridiculous Newt, I just got here." I laughed at the idea. Why would he even think that?

"I wouldn't say it's a ridiculous idea." He said while taking a sip from his bottle. I laughed and playfully pushed him, catching him off guard. A few minutes later on the opposite side of the fire, the boys gathered into a circle. Grabbing my attention, I walked oved, Thomas and Newt following right behind me. I paused next to Minho and gazed into the circle. Two boys stood in the middle.

"What's happening?" I asked Minho without my eyes straying from the middle.

"Wrestling." He replied. "The dude closest to us is Gally." I observed the man Minho pointed out. He had short brown hair and wore a stern face. His high arched eyebrows made him look like he was angry. He held his fists to his face and waited for his opponent to attack. "The rules are pretty simple. First one to push the other out of the ring is the winner." He said, deeply concentrated on the match. Gally's opponent had the same build, but was obviously much stronger. He grabbed and pushed Gally, hoping to obtain victory. The match only lasted about thirty seconds, Gally being sent out of the ring and forcefully on the ground. The crowed cheered for the other boy, laughing at Gally as well.

"C'mon Gally, the girl could do better than that!" Somebody from the group of boys yelled. More laughter erupted. I wasn't laughing though. The slightly offensive comment made it unfunny. People shouldn't assume that females are the weaker sex. I rolled my eyes, while doing so I felt a slight shove from behind me, pushing me closer to the ring. The cheering from the crowd continued, as if they actually wanted me to fight. Gally stood up from the sand circle and wipes his hands on his pants, turning towards me.

"Let's do it then, Greenie." He said pointing at me. "Unless you're too scared." I stared at him with my mouth open. This is not happening. I felt another shove come behind me, pushing me fully into the ring.

"You got it, Heather!" And many other encouraging words were yelled from all different parts of the circle. I did not volunteer for this. I turned to where Minho was standing, his arms crossed and wearing a serious expression. I turned back, Gally getting in the same stance he was in with the previous opponent. I was standing there limp, but quickly jumped into action as Gally charged at me. I lurched to the right, making it so he couldn't lay a hand on me. I don't think he's going to actually hurt me, just shove me out of this damn ring. As I was strategizing, I slowly walked around the ring, waiting for him to make a move. His angry eyes were glued to mine. I could read his body language based on his stance, and I finally thought I knew how I could easily take him out. He charged at me once again. Predictable. I took a small step to the side, making sure I'd be close enough to turn on him. He attempted to grab me at my wait, bringing me to the ground. Before he had time to get a firm grip around me, I grabbed a hold of his arms. Turning a full 180 degrees, I shoved him as hard as I could, sending him out of the ring and onto his back. The crowd erupted once again. I stood in shock, wondering how I was actually able to pull that off. The crowd moved in, destroying the circle, and flooding me in celebration.

That night before sleep came over me, I laid in my bed, positive thoughts crossing my mind. Newt was right, the bonfire really allowed me to get a better feel of the Glade and the Gladers. I glanced over to the hammock next to mine, Minho peacefully asleep already. I smiled slightly, catching myself in the act. Newt's comment from the bonfire crept into my mind. I quickly pushed the crazy idea out of my head though, and allowed myself to drift off into sleep.