XI. Clouds

XI. Clouds-

Allistair drew his sword as the tent ripped wide. It was not a well kept secret that his cane doubled as a sheath for a small, slender blade. Besides, the people he needed to surprise probably didn’t know him well enough to catch that small fact. Senn watched his brave ringmaster face whatever threat was coming with little more than a second’s hesitation. He envied the man’s courage as he stayed back, hiding amidst the crowd of terrified civilians, Amora’s hand clutched within his own.

“What's happening?” she asked, high-pitched voice just rising over the din.

“I don’t know,” Senn replied. Suddenly, the sound of feral dogs reached his ears--yips, barks, and growls all overlapping each other. He caught sight of small, furry shapes coming in through the large tear; the canvas flapped in the cold wind, catching the wavering light of the full moon. Senn could just see a humanoid shape--other than Allistair’s--in the midst of it, directing his lupin legions with fierce hand gestures and shouts inaudible from so far away. He too had a blade in hand, but he didn’t seem to have any intention to use it. A howl shook him to his core--it was a bloodthirsty sound. Screams soon followed as the dogs wove their way through the crowd. The unknown figure pointed directly at them.

“This way!” Senn shouted, pulling Amora towards the tent exit. Already, the dog’s had made another tear. Senn feared the whole thing might collapse right atop them. It was then Senn decided that he hated fear with a fiery passion.

Another army of wolves joined with the first, though they were largely different. Barely any hint of color marred their light-hued coats--quite a contrast to the large, ashy-furred wolves that attacked first. Senn paused as they collided with the first, barring them from their onslaught. It was just the distraction Senn needed to get away from both groups. Heart thudding in his chest, he pushed his way through the crowd. He tried to ignore the cries and yells--was that a horse he heard?--

He shook his head and turned to make sure Amora was still following him. She was pale, her fair hair increasing the look of her horrified pallor. Her bright brown eyes were wide. He took her by the shoulders, thrusting her in front of him. If one of them couldn't get to the entrance, he wanted her out first.

A black wolf leapt, pushing a woman directly in front of Senn to the ground, in a heap of lace and skirts. Startled, Senn jumped backwards, Amora bringing herself to the side and colliding with a man four-times her size. The wolf turned his orange eyes to Senn, lips raising in a snarl. Senn started to back away, but going against the tide of the crowd was nigh impossible. Amora screeched, but even she was far away, only just able to keep her slight form from being trampled. Above them, the circus lights flickered disorienting and the whole structure groaned. It was times like this he wished he knew how to use a dagger, or at least kept one readily at hand.

The black wolf pounced, but was knocked aside by one of the lighter ones. It gave a startled yelp, rising thin and hight pitched into the air. The white one--all tail and legs--didn’t have the mass to hold the other down, however, and was battered aside in seconds, a blossom of red staining it’s otherwise pure pelt. Luckily for Senn, the large one didn’t bother to seek him out, and preyed upon a nobleman closer to him and far easier to over take. Senn ran, the exit outside a stark, black wound upon the dulled hues of the tent canvas.

Fear heightened Senn’s senses--a thousand smells and sights stumbling over the other in his mind as he raced towards his one goal. Fear, though, did not heighten his reasoning and when he heard a threatening growl behind him, he spun too fast and too sharp and fell hard to the cobblestone ground. Malevolent, blue eyes stared down at him, yellowed teeth bared and steamy breath puffed in his face.