Chapter I

Days are numbered and cold. I only have days to live. Yet I feel very happy. I lie in my bed staring at the ceiling. I smile as I think about my day. I have met the boy of my dreams. His name is Colton. He has blond hair and sparkling blue eyes. I bite my lip as I think of him. Suddenly I hear a knock on my bedroom door. I hear my mother's voice. I am 26 yet I still live with my mother. I only live with her because I am unable to live on my own. I have a chronic heart disease.

"You awake still?"

"Yeah, only just though..." I answer. Mother sits down on my bed.

"I want to tell you something." She says.

"Sure," I say as I sit up. Mother smiles.

"Well, I was thinking, would you like to spend a day in the city?" I grin. I have never been to the city. Never. My heart just stops me from doing anything. I nod excitedly. I had also heard that Colton was going to the city tomorrow.

"Tomorrow?" I ask.

"Yes. Or someday else. I don't mind." Mother nods.

"Thank you." I whisper.

"There's no need to whisper. It's not a secret and no one is here." Mother walks out and shuts the door behind her. Sleep comes quickly after she leaves.

I wish I could run. Unfortunately my heart stops that. In fact everything I do depends on how my heart is. I constantly hear a loud thumping in my ears. I enter the kitchen seeing mother sitting at the breakfast table having a cuppa.

"Morning, lovely." She calls. I just grin back at her. I reach for a bowl and pour myself some cereal. I sit at the table munching my cornflakes.

"Anything you want to get?" Mother asks me, putting her cuppa down.

"Not really," comes my reply, "I can't really think of anything." Mother nods.

"What about a book or something like that?"

"Yeah. Maybe." I sit and eat my cereal in silence.

I am dressed a ready to go. I wear my favourite jeans and shirt. My mother waits at the door, holding the door open.

"You ready?"

"Yes!" I walk down my driveway about to get into the car. The car is a black Holden with silver edged windscreens. Mother loves the car. She would kill me if I did any sort of damage to it. The soft rum of the engine lulls me to sleep. By the time I wake, we have arrived. I watch the entrance as we travel up to the car park. We stop to collect a ticket from a machine then a boom gate opens and we drive onwards. The car park is dark and specks of light are located throughout the space. I smile. We finally park and when we enter a car spot, a light above us turns off.

"Come on then!" My mother has already exited the car and is urging me forwards. I take off my seatbelt and get out. I smell lavender throughout the car park. My mother leads me towards a door.

There are so many stores. Some have cheap items inside, some have expensive, there are stores that sell stationary to clothing to food. By the time I come out of one of the stores, I have a bag full of many different items. The next store we go to is a really cool clothing store. I have an arm full of clothes to try on.

"Go on ahead and try on those clothes. I will catch up." Mother walks off in a hurry. I can't wait to try on the clothes. The first one I try on is a pretty orange dress. I get out of my change cubicle and look in the mirror at myself. I twirl.

"You look very pretty," coos a voice. I spin around, expecting to see my mother, but instead see Colton, arms folded and smiling.

"Thank you," I mutter softly, smiling. I feel my cheeks fill with colour.

"You're Chloe, right?"

"Yes I am. And you are Colton...?" He nods.