Chapter 7 - Jasmine's Apology

JASMINE'S POV

It was irritating seeing Zak turn away and follow his girlfriend after the game. She knew it was going to be difficult to get to Zak but she didn't realise how difficult. She thought Zak had more of a backbone. Obviously she had been wrong to think this way.

Darren had been the perfect opportunity to see if Zak was still interested. He had come over after the game to see if she was alright and she had smiled up at him, telling him that everything was fine. He had agreed to sit with her until everyone had disappeared and she was grateful for that. She could see how much it annoyed Zak and that was all she cared about.

Although Darren had suggested walking Jasmine home, she didn't really want to risk being alone with him in case she got hungry and decided to drink him dry. He was a nice lad and he'd helped her out so she wanted to keep him alive, especially as Zak seemed so irritated by him.

"Sorry about Gems. She's not normally like this. I don't know what's got over her today. She's really nice once you get to know her and I'm not just saying that because she's my girlfriend or anything..."

"It's okay." Jasmine replied.

She seemed to be saying that a lot lately, even if it wasn't.

Zak and Jasmine were walking home from the game and Jasmine just so happened to be living near Zak's house. It wasn't a coincidence. Jasmine had rented a house just down the road from Zak's so that she could walk with him and keep an eye on things after and before school if possible. It was the perfect opportunity to get him alone without Gems disrupting them.

She already owned a house anyway. It was a small detached house around a mile away from school with hardly any furniture inside. It was quite a plain house; she only needed it when she wanted to sleep, which was basically never. People would want to see her home once she made friends, which she guessed would be soon because that's what friends liked to do. The rented home was for this reason only. Though she hardly went into the place, she made sure that the bottom of the house at least looked a little bit lived in. Gems was certainly not going to want to come, not like Jasmine would want her there anyway, but she hoped that Zak would want to, even if he wasn't allowed to do so.

            It was much better walking with Zak on their own without Gems. They'd finally separated from each other once almost everyone had disappeared and Jasmine had waited quietly behind a tree for her chance when Gems had said goodbye and walked in the opposite direction towards her own house. She'd practically bounced into him with the haste to be near him and, at first, he seemed slightly confused. When she explained that she was walking the same way, Zak had no trouble in accepting it.

He seemed much more relaxed on his own. He was certainly more open and a lot better to talk to. He didn't have to pretend to hate her for his girlfriend's sake. This was the Zak she wanted to know, the Zak that liked to talk to her and didn't care about anyone else. Gems was hard to be near; she wore people out. He seemed almost relieved to be away from the creature at last.

She wondered how he managed to cope seeing her face every day.