Chapter 1

I continually stabbed the invisible dagger in and out of my chest, waiting for the pain. It never comes, the dagger isn’t real. I keep forgetting that. I need a real one.

I slowly fall to the floor. Gray corset tight against my body, long black and red skirt falling to my ankles, my black hair falling over my face.  I stand up and see my reflection in a mirror that is opposite of me. Pale skin, the palest in the country, and bright gray eyes stare back at me. I sigh, when can this curse end, I’m tired of suffering.

Flashback time:

 I remember how all of this happened. . .

I was walking to school with my best friend, Cambree. It was dark because it was the middle of winter and it was early in the morning. It was snowing lightly and by the light of the moon, I could tell there were clouds gathering overhead.

I heard something, it was whispering my name.

“Did you hear that?” I asked.

“Hear what?” Cambree asked, she was, as usual, blasting her iPod, I could even hear My Chemical Romance playing in the background.

“Melanie,” it whispered again, it sounded inhuman.

“Would you just try to listen,” I asked.

“I can hear you just fine, I turned my iPod off,” Cam replied.

“Oh, well can you hear that thing whispering my name?” I asked.

“No, I cannot,” she replied.

“Melaaaaaaanieeeeeeeeeee,” it whispered again.

“Did you hear it that time?” I asked.

“No, I didn’t, I think you’re going insane,” she said while smiling.

“I’m being serious!” I replied.

“Melanie,” it kept whispering, “Melanie, Melanie, Melanie.”

I was going to find this thing and kill it; it is freaking me out too much. I just want it to stop, is that too much to ask.

“Ya, sure you are,” she replied.

I glared at her.

“It’s not my fault that you are hearing imaginary voices inside you head,” she said while putting her hands up in mock defeat.

During that day at school, Cambree kept annoying me about that thing and kept asking if it would do the same thing to her, all I could say as a reply was:  how am I supposed to know, this isn’t my fault!

I had to walk home alone cause Cam has soccer practice after school.

When I was about halfway home, the whispering started again.

“Melanie,” it said in that creepy demonic voice.

“What do you want?” I shrieked.

“You,” it said, making its voice sound hollow.

“For?” I asked, sure that I would start screaming or shaking any second.

“You are one of us,” it whispered, and I was sure I felt its mouth touch my ear.

“Which is?” I asked, as I began to shake.

It was getting colder by the second and the snow was falling faster and faster; I was shivering.

“What do you think it is?” it asked.

“Not human,” I said and as I said it I wanted to change my response.

“Oh, that is true, but can’t you be more specific?” it asked.

“What if I don’t want to be more specific?” I asked.

“You’re going to have to be,” it hissed, I closed my eyes, if this thing appeared; I didn’t want to see it.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because, I won’t go away until you do,” it replied calmly.

“Demon?” I guessed.

“That is not specific enough,” it replied.

Should I believe this thing, am I really a demon?

“I-I can’t get more sp-specific,” I stuttered.

“Sure you can,” it whispered.

“I-I can’t,” I finally blurted after a minute of silence.

“Well then, Melanie, let me give you a lesson in demons,” it said, I could hear footsteps now.

I opened my eyes, my jaw dropped; I NEVER expected a demon to look like this.

He had black wings that stretched from one house to another, jet black hair and soulless black eyes. He was dressed in all black; I couldn’t see any of his pure white skin except for his face. I could see two fangs coming out of his blood red mouth. So, demons look like vampires.

“There are two places where you can go after you die, Heaven and Hell,” he smiled when he said Hell, “Angels and demons keep the world balanced,” he rolled his eyes. “When angels do something bad, they fall, and when demons do something good, they go to Earth and have to stay there for eternity. Angel’s wings turn black and demons eyes turn white or gray depending on what they did and how good it is. Angels and demons are enemies and are in an eternal war to rule Earth. If the angels win, everyone on Earth becomes good and if demons win, everyone on Earth becomes evil.”

“Even the animals?” I asked.

“Yes, and the plants and the rocks and the bacteria,” the demon replied.

“So, why are you telling me this?” I asked.

“Because, you were a demon,” he replied.

“I don’t understand,” I said.

“Why do they never understand?” he muttered, “You were a demon, but you did something good.”

“If I was a demon, then why don’t I remember being a demon?” I asked.

“Because, when demons rise, they don’t remember anything, and they have to live as a “human”, it is a pointless rule, I know,” he replied.

“What do you mean by rule?” I asked.

“When demons rise or angels fall, there are certain things that happen that keeps them out of Heaven or Hell,” he replied.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because, it has been this way for centuries and no one knows how to change it,” he replied.

“And you would be?” I asked.

“I am the being that finds important demons and demons that have risen and get them back to Hell,” he said.

“So, I’m important?” I asked while smiling.

“Yes, you are,” he replied while sighing.

“So, why are you here?” I asked.

“To take you to the Castle of Darkness,” he replied.

“Which is?” I asked.

“The place where demons that have risen go when they try to become demons again and where mortals go when they try to get into Hell and not be just another forgotten soul,” he replied.

“Ok,” I said as he started pulling me in the direction of an ominous gate that appeared out of nowhere. His hand, even through the glove, was ice cold.