Agony (a Royce One-shot)

The bright orange ball was being tossed back and forth between the players from the teams. Each team tried to steal the ball from each other to bravely score into the basketball goal, earning them some points.

        I stayed far away from everyone else as possible, standing on the end of the huge gym's court near the team I was on's goal.

        It was Blue vs. Yellow. I was on the Yellow team, and our goal was on the right of the court. I watched as Coach Gunther guided each team, since this was only practice. He was blowing ferociously at his whistle while yelling the last names of the players, telling them what to fix.

        I'm really not that good at basketball. Actually, I don't even know how to play basketball. It looked easier from afar, but was really difficult in reality. Well, for me anyway. I'm not that great at sports. Well, actually I suck at sports...

        My breath caught and my knees immediately felt like jam as the players were gradually approaching closer to where I was standing. I covered half of my face with my hands as my skinny legs were shaking like twigs. I watched as the fast, sweaty boys were all right in front of me just inches away.

        Oh gosh.

        I shakily and slowly backed up a few steps, trying to keep my distance away from them. I hope the players and the coach had forgotten I even existed in their team so they won't have to involve me in the game...

        My ears ringed when Coach Gunther loudly blew his whistle at the intense game. "LATIMORE, PASS IT TO PEREZ!" he yelled.

        I literally froze. What?! I mentally yelped. No!

        Latimore did as coach ordered and threw the ball to me into a long pass above the boys' long arms. I watched the ball fly freely into the air, landing closer towards me. I frantically panicked. I honestly didn't know what to do.

        So, I just hid my face under my arms, letting the hard ball make contact with the side of my head, knocking me backwards onto the hard gym floor. The other side of my head made contact with the floor, as I fell face first.

        Coach Gunther huffed angrily. "PEREZ!" he shouted in frustration.

        All the rest of the boys just erupted in laughter. Their bitter laughter echoed throughout the huge gym and into my brain. My aching brain.

        I let a single tear roll down my face at my humiliation. They laughed, and laughed, and laughed... They just kept laughing.

        Coach Gunther blew his whistle, ceasing the laughter. "That's ENOUGH! Go get dressed!"

        The boys let out their last laughs before heading to the locker room. One of them sent the basketball to my side, making a sharp pain strike through me. I silently whimpered to myself.

        "Perez! Get up from that floor, boy!" Coach Gunther commanded, repeatedly blowing his whistle.

        I faintedly nodded. "Yes, sir..." my voice cracked, barely audible.

        I slowly brought myself up from the cold gym floor, shivering from my aching pain that corresponded through my weak body. I began to limp to the boys' locker room, silently letting my tears fall from my eyes.

        I have been constantly bullied like this since I came here from homeschooling. I wanted to be remained homeschooled, but for my Junior year my mother felt like I should get out more and make new friends instead of being cooped up in my room all day.