Chapter Five

"Fine, you want to talk?"

He nodded, eyes twinkling.

"I know the perfect way for us to get to know each other Brendon."

He raised an eye brow.

"Truth or dare."

Brendon grimaced. "Aren't we a little old to be playing truth or dare?"

"Heck no! You are never too old to play truth or dare, silly boy."

"But.." he started but I cut him off.

"No butt's!"

He opened his mouth to speak but the same man from the cleaning crew who had addressed us earlier swung the door open.

"Ladies, Gentlemen - no one is to leave this room now do you understand?" we nodded, looking around jokingly at the others he seemed to be addressing, "cleaning is a serious job and interruption could lead to serious injury," he looked so sincere that Brendon and I started to giggle uncontrollably.

"You think that's funny kids? One man I used to work with – nice fellow - decided he had the privilege to look out the window while vacuuming. Do you know what happened to him? Do you?"

"No sir," I answered, desperately trying to hold back my laughter.

He didn't find it funny though. "That cleaner ended up with four broken toes, children," he said holding a hand to his heart, "every time I clean a house I bring the vacuum of doom with me to remind myself that there is danger."

As soon as the door shut behind him, Brendon and I both landed on the floor laughing our heads off. We couldn't stop. I couldn't help but notice how Brendon's laugh was almost angelic– that in itself made me laugher harder. How could someone I didn't like so much have such a beautiful laugh!? Hilarious!

I opened my eyes and stopped laughing instantly. I had landed right next to Brendon, and our faces were millimetres apart. If either of us moved our heads in the slightest our lips would touch.

Brendon had stopped laughing and seemed to have come to the same realization as me. He tentatively lifted his hand and brushed away a tear on my cheek caused by the laughter.

His hot breath was fanning my face.

I was aching to close the distance between us.

I looked into his eyes and once again I felt weak, I now noticed his deep green eyes had scattered flecks of blue in them. His gaze was pinning me against him, and I didn't want to move away.

He just as slowly moved his hand away from my cheek.

"So, we were going to play truth or dare?" he asked in a whisper, breaking the silence.

I pulled myself up reluctantly and sat next to him on the floor, wondering what the hell had just happened.

"I will warn you, I am extremely good at this game."

"Oh, I bet you are," he unconvincingly joked, clearly still trying to recover from whatever that was.

"So...truth or dare?" I asked playfully, determined to shake it off.

"Truth."

I thought for a minute, what did I really want to know?

"Hmmm," I leaned against my bed, "what is your bedroom nickname?" I finally decided, best to make a joke.

"The King," he answered immediately.

"Seriously! Did you make that up or have you seriously been called that?" I asked surprised, my mouth hanging open. I hadn't actually been serious!