Chapter 31 - If It Had Been You

"You forced him! You marked him against his wishes, out of anger! You disgraced your mate. You spat on the sanctity of the marking ritual! You are a King, Alaric. How could you loose control like that? What example would it make for your people?" Queen Sophia's shrilled voice rang out in their quarters, "What were you thinking!" 

Alaric growled under his breath as he ran his hands over his face, "I didn't mean to. My inner wolf took over. I-"

"Excuses." Sophia hissed, "You sound like a savage. You are a better man than this Alaric. You should be punished for what you did. You attacked him. Your own mate. How dare you!" Sophia paced the room in her anger.

"You didn't know the situation. He-"

Sophia interrupted rudely with a glare, "No matter what he did. He did not deserve this. Do you know what damage you have done, Alaric? What if he never recovers from this? He is weak from all his injuries, he is mentally drained and out of it. Now you assault his inner wolf?! Did you hear him? His scream? Because the whole castle heard it and my heart breaks for him. What is your plan exactly Alaric? Break him? Because if that's what you have planned, I applaud you. You might have succeeded." Sophia clapped her hands together mockingly.

Alaric dropped his head in shame.

"According to the laws and the customs of this kingdom. This fair kingdom that your father has built with his sweat and blood, you were not allowed to mark a consort without your Queen's approval, even if he was your mate. You broke this law. King or not, there will be consequences. You will be punished." Queen Sophia raised her hand to Alaric when he looked as though he was going to interrupt, "I will not discuss this. I will only make demands. I am Queen. I step up to support your rule when you are clearly not in the right mind for it. I will put you in your place when you've forgotten it. This was the oath that I took when I married you."

Alaric could only sigh and look to the ground. His mind was barely on the conversation. He so desperately wanted to be by Carlen's side. But Healer Naomi was more willing to kill him than to let him be near Carlen. The sound of Sophia's voice was starting to grate at his nerves, but he could do nothing about it. She was not wrong.

"Warrior Lance will be released. He will not be pursued for his actions, any of it. No investigations, no demotions, nothing." Queen Sophia shot a look at Alaric when raised his head instantly, "He will be allowed to recover from his injuries and he will be allowed near Carlen. You will not restrict him. I don't care about your feelings on this matter Alaric. After what you did, Carlen needs someone he can trust. And I assure you, you are not the one. The warrior has done well to care for him in the days before his attack. I believe Carlen can recover well with his attention, and I intend to let him."

"Sophia!"

"Your opinions are irrelevant here!" The Queen raised her voice, "Need I remind you, that if you do not heed my demands, I can raise this issue in front of your councilmen, and have them reevaluate your worth as the King. Prince Shayne perhaps, can take your place while they deliberate." Sophia smirked as she saw Alaric look away, "Now. You will give Carlen the space that he needs to recover. I do not doubt that he will be extremely wary of you now, despite the mark you forced on him. He will want you to keep away, and you will. You will allow him to recover in the manner that he wants. You will learn to respect him and his wishes. You have done him enough damage and hurt. You will repent and you will beg for forgiveness for the rest of your life even if he never grants you forgiveness."

Alaric let out an incredulous breath.

Queen Sophia continued, "If he does not want his position as consort. You will not force him. I will not force him." At this point, Sophia could sense that Alaric was almost without fight on her orders, so she tried just to push it a little more, "And finally. If he wants to leave this kingdom-"