Beyond Flames

dedicated to figurative because I love "Chasing Paper" ~

----- 

When Seden and Daniel had caught up with Emeka, who was standing at a random street corner, staring at an apartment building, they had subconsciously decided to ignore everything that had happened between Daniel and Sarah. Yet, the absence of Sarah and Nathan was painfully obvious. Seden hooked her arms through those of Daniel and Emeka, and let them to a cute cafe to order them a coffee and some chocolate cookies. They both looked like they needed it. She didn’t know why Emeka seemed so off suddenly, but she would pry it out of him when they were alone, she was sure of that. Once the two guys were sat down and drinking their coffees in silence, Seden grabbed her phone and quickly sent a text to her friend. Then, she slid it back in her pocket and sat down as well. “So, is there anything you guys wanna do?” She asked. They didn’t really have something to do to fill the days, so they had to find something to keep the boredom away. After all, they didn’t know how long they were going to stay here.

After zero response from either of the guys, she came up with a plan herself. “Look, we don’t know how long this is going to last, so listen up. I suggest we all find a job or something to keep us going. Then maybe, we could put some money together to hire some place where we can play, because the apartment isn’t really cut out for that.” Both guys looked up as she was, yet again, speaking the truth. They couldn’t just drink coffee all day and party all night if they wanted to make it here, they would have to finance themselves, practise for days at a time.

They all agreed to write down what they were good at, and then part ways to look for a job. Grabbing a napkin and a pen, Seden started. She wrote down:

1.     teaching music lessons

2.     I like kids

3.     personal shopper. At that one she laughed out loud

4.     I don’t really know anything more.

Then, she handed the napkin over to Emeka, who wrote down his name and numbers as well.

1.     I like sports

2.     I could work at a super market or something?

3.     I like music, obviously

4.     I’m clueless I’m sorry

Then, with a frown he handed the napkin over to Daniel.

His pen hovered over the soft paper, before jotting down his name and numbers too, next to those of his friends’

1.     I like to write

2.     I don’t particularly like people

3.     I kind of like to draw

4.     Animals I do like

Well, that was a pretty useless thing to do, he thought to himself. Seden grabbed the napkin and read everything through.

“Okay, for myself I could teach children how to play guitar and everything, no problem since they can’t be more stubborn than Emeka here,” She said, patting Emeka’s head, “And you could maybe work in a bar or something, Emeka. But for you..” Her goldish eyes rested on my face as she studied me. “I don’t know. Maybe a vet?” A vet. A freaking vet in the middle of freaking New York.

“I don’t know Seden, I guess I can look for a job as a.. vet.” Daniel said uncertain.

“I guess you can.” She said in response. “Okay, it is now..” She checked the clock on her phone. “Oneish, so lets meet up in the apartment at six thirty? I’ll text Sarah the time. Deal?” Seden was a hundred percent business, zero percent pleasure at the moment. A freaking vet, she’s out of her mind. But Daniel shrugged anyway, and after paying for the coffee she and Emeka left the cafe. He didn’t. He just sat there, waiting on the answer to the job hunt to just fly into him.