Prologue

*Author's Note 5/5/2014*

--This is Neverland: Forsaken Dreamscape, a nominee for the WattyAwards in 2012. Some of you may know that I began rewritng this story to make it into a trilogy, now called Nevermor,but don't worry. I have good news!

If you read and loved the old version in the past, or if you never got to finish it but wanted to, I'm proud to announce that you're in luck. Due to popular demand, the original Neverland: Forsaken Dreamscape (Peter Pan Version) will be published alongside the Nevermor version in a special Deluxe Edition of Forsaken Dreamscape.

So, yes, this story still exists...it just doesn't exist on its own anymore.

For the latest details, check out my blog: http://projectnevermor.wordpress.com/

A preview of the first book of the new trilogy, NEVERMOR, is now available to read on my profile page, and the full version is available to purchase on Kindle, Kobo, Nook, iBooks, Gumroad, Smashwords and in print.

Reason for rating: Strong language, strong violence and gore, sexual situations and innuendo.

--

 FORSAKEN DREAMSCAPE

Text copyright Lani Lenore

 All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be produced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

                                                     ______________________________

Storms.  It was a night of storms.  The girl recalled her father saying so.  It would appear he had been right.  The vicious wind blew her fair locks all about her face as the moon shone down on her from beyond a cloudy haze.  It winked at her mischievously, and Wendy began to feel doubt.  Could there not have been some other night to be walking along the roof?  Could this not possibly have waited until morning?

The light jingling of bells discouraged her from thinking.  Through her tangling hair, she saw a tiny spot of light dancing before her, and though she could not understand the language of the pixie-creature, she understood the message.  It was from Peter.  He wanted them to come back.

Neverland was calling.

Wendy Moira Angela Darling had felt she’d done a very mature and adult thing when she had left that land of mystery and magic to come home to her parents. She had left the boy Peter as if he had been her lover, moving past his childish ways.  She wanted to grow up, after all, but after a short time, it did not satisfy her.  In her heart, she still loved him, and she knew that as long as she lived, she would never love another.  For many nights, she had sat gazing at the window from her bed, fancying that he would come back and beg her to come away with him again, but he had not, and the girl had finally decided that he was too proud.  That was, until this night.

The boy had not come himself – perhaps also because of his pride – but he had sent that devoted, tinkling pixie of his to fetch Wendy and her brothers.  Tinker Bell’s tiny lips had smiled at them charmingly, and with only a delicate musical sound, she had ushered them to the roof.  Wendy was proceeded in the unsteady winds by her brother John, and behind her she pulled along little Michael, five now.

They knew how this would work.  It was a thing that no adult could believe in, which proved that she had not yet cast off her childhood completely, no matter how she had tried.  They were to think of happy thoughts while being sprinkled with a magical, glittering essence called pixie dust.  Then, they would be able to ignore every rule of gravity that had been set down by God and float up to a place in the stars that did not really exist as far as grown-ups were concerned.  It was all too impossible and thrilling, even now.  But the coming storm…  Could they have not waited until after it had passed?

The mischievous creature they knew as Tinker Bell began to pass over them, throwing her sparkling dust which felt like tiny pinpricks on their skin and filled them with notions of euphoria. Wendy was too busy thinking of Peter to notice the odd look on the pixie’s face.  The girl had a very simple, happy thought inside her mind.  It was that she would soon be back with Peter.  Yes; he wanted her back.  And when she came to him he would take her in his arms, hug her and perhaps kiss her, and tell her that he would never let her leave him again.  They would have their forever.

Her brothers had already gone on before her – had already taken flight off the eaves of the house.  Closing her eyes, Wendy stepped forward and let her weight drop from the roof.