Chapter 25

Chapter Twenty – Five

Ebony awoke the next morning with a fright. Her nightgown was damp and sticking to her body and her brow was slick with sweat. Her heart was pounding and her breathing was raspy. She was panicking. She didn’t want to think about it. She didn’t want to wake up at the time but something in her brain was making her. She fiddled with the ring on her finger – Henry’s ring – the one he’d placed there the night before. She spun it around and around her finger, using the little circle as an anchor point for her anxiety.

Looking down at the pretty sapphire, which she could see due to the rising sun spilling light into the room through a crack in the drapes, she smiled slightly. She was engaged. Had that really happened? Never in her wildest dreams could she have ever imagined that her life would turn out how it had. But just like Emilia, she would never regret it. If it hadn’t happened, she would still be living as the poor step-daughter of the drunkard barman, singing for change and watching Celeste scurry around and pinch from pockets. Vernon had done her a favour in a way. He’d brought her to Henry, and Henry would make her happy. He’d give her a family. A proper family. The kind that laughs, plays and loves each other.

Celeste was still sound asleep beside her. She was cuddling her pillow and breathing evenly.  

Ebony climbed out of bed as quietly as possible and went to the window. She opened the drapes ever so slightly and then closed them behind her as not to wake Celeste. She knew it was happening. Perhaps it had already happened. Ebony just watched the sun. She watched it until it was truly day and the maids were knocking on the door for breakfast.

He was dead and it was over.

Ebony came out from behind the drapes and the young maid jumped.

“Begging your pardon, Miss,” she said apologetically with a northerner’s accent. She curtseyed and then continued laying out both Ebony and Celeste’s gowns for the day.

Ebony roused Celeste from her deep slumber and she lethargically stretched. “Morning,” Celeste mumbled. She yawned for a good five seconds. “Night.” She then hit her pillow again and feel back asleep instantly.

Ebony chuckled. “Leave her be,” she said to the maid. “She was up into the wee hours of the night dancing. She’s tired.” Her dress for the day was a plain ivory coloured gown. The skirt was pleated to add a little detail, but aside from that, it was simple. Ebony liked it.

The young maid nodded. She was a pretty, young girl. Her auburn hair was tucked underneath a white cap and her green, almond shaped eyes complimented a sweet, round face. She looked about Ebony’s age. “If I may, Miss, the downstairs folk wanted to congratulate you. Master Henry is a kind man.” She spoke of him fondly.

“Thank you,” Ebony said gratefully, looking down to her ring once more. “I know he is.” She looked back to the maid again. “Do you know if he’s awake?” she asked.

“Yes, Miss, he’s downstairs with Master James. Breakfast is being served. What time shall I wake Miss Celeste?” she asked, gesturing to the ungracefully sleeping Celeste. Her arms were outstretched across the bed as she slept on her front.

“Just leave her be,” she reiterated. “She’ll make her way downstairs eventually. There isn’t anything in particular planned for today, is there?” Ebony didn’t know if the maids were briefed on the social happenings. Perhaps.

“Well, his Lordship and Master James have a meeting with a few of his tenants. Her Ladyship is spending the day with Lady Kitty, consoling her while Admiral Aubrey packs, I believe. Lady Alice is working at the orphanage today and she’s taking the children with her. I’m unaware of Master Henry’s plans, but there is an engagement planned this evening, it being the summer season and all.”