10.

It was currently almost Christmas break and this day made it a year since Charnae's world turned upside down—starting with her mom's murder. She finally allowed her guard down and she made everyone aware. The crew made sure to keep an eye on her due to what happened during thanksgiving break, but they also gave her much needed space.

Charnae finished her math final a couple of hours ago and that just left her to do her biology final, which was the next day then she'll be done with the fall semester. She got to speak with her dad and she made sure all was well with him. Charnae hasn't completed the assignment that Dana gave her just yet, but she planned to. She just needed to figure out what to say without sounding too harsh.

"Hey, baby." Faith said as she entered the dorm. She gave Charnae a quick kiss on the cheek. "How was you final?"

"It was good." Charnae replied. She studied hard for all of her finals.

"Glad to hear. Have you decided whose house you're gonna stay at for Christmas?" Faith asked.

"Yeah, Leon's. Mama Leanne bribed me with homemade turtle cookies." Charnae said, making Faith laugh.

"I can't even blame you, girl. They are good." Faith said. "I can't wait until we do our Secret Santa. I got Jordan. Who'd you get?"

"Leon. Do you want to see what I got him?" Charnae asked as she got up from the bed to get the gift.

"Of course. You know I'm nosey." Faith teased.

Charnae worked at the campus bookstore three days out of the week. It paid her enough to keep adding to her savings account, pay her phone bill and car insurance, and have spending money. She thanked God that her car was paid off and she had a full academic scholarship, or she would've been overwhelmed.

Charnae pulled out a gold chain with gold football charm hanging from it. "It was expensive so I hope he likes it."

Faith squealed once she saw the chain. "He's gonna love it and it's real gold! Yeah, he's never gonna take it off. You did good, girl!"

Charnae smiled. "Thank you. I wonder who my Secret Santa is."

"I know who it is." Faith said sinisterly. Charnae's eyes lit up, but they quickly went dull when Faith shook her head. "I may talk a lot, but I know when to keep a secret. You'll find out next week, boo."

Charnae pouted as she put Leon's gift back in its rightful place. "Okay, fine."

"Let's go get something to eat. My treat." Faith offered and Charnae could not decline even if she wanted to.

-

"That's perfect, sweetie." Leanne said. It was the next day and Charnae went straight to Leanne's house after her final. They were currently in the kitchen and Leanne was teaching Charnae how to make her famous turtle cookies. "Leon is going to be jealous when he walks in here."

Charnae laughed. "He'll be okay." Right on cue, Charnae's phone began vibrating on the counter, indicating a FaceTime call from Leon. "Hello?" Charnae said once she slid the answer icon over to the right.

"So I had to hear from Damien that you went to my mama's house without me?!" He said. Both Charnae and Leanne laughed because they knew he was offended. "And y'all laughing? Bet, I'll be there in fifteen minutes. We'll see who gets the last laugh." Leon quickly hung up, making Charnae and Leanne laugh harder.

"Girl, we're in trouble." Leanne teased.

Like promised, Leon walked into the house fifteen minutes later with a mug on his face. Luckily, they were done with the cookies by then so he wouldn't know Leanne taught her how to make them.