Pretending Everything is ok

A Lesson for Romantics

Chapter Five: Pretending everything is ok

By: Theodore B. Columbus

Now that you have me

what do you plan to do

now that I've given my heart and soul to you

Now that we're one

how will this now unfold

how will our story end and how will it be told

will it be sung in melodies

or will it be told in prose

only in time will we see I can suppose.

In the forest surrounded by evergreens and deciduous trees stands an old cabin, a resting spot for weary campers and teenagers alike. With it's chimney made of river stones and floor of pounded earth the place carries a charm of it's own. Not to mention the years of use as evident by the names and dates scratched onto the corners of the wall with some overlapping the others. Here, Bryan planned to stay for the night; however he didn't expect Gwen to go with him.

“ Good to see there's some firewood stocked here. Oh and mind if you pass me my lighter?” Bryan, says while checking if the logs where moist.

“ It is common courtesy to leave some if you used up what was here to begin with.” Gwen says after finding the lighter in Bryan's bag.

Bryan, then starts the a small fire enough to illuminate the place then goes over to Gwen and they then sit by the fire. He gazes into her eyes and then says “ There are thousands of things I would like to tell you right at this moment however only three words are really important right now-”

Gwen interrupts, Bryan with a kiss. She knew what he would already say and that there was no need for an apology. Deep down in her heart, Gwen, knew he was sincere about all that he has said so far, and that what ever doubt in her mind was gone because of that. She then squeezes his hand and buries her self deep into his arms. Comforted knowing that even in a fleeting moment they can be together as if nothing else mattered in the world.

He looked down at her face and brushed her raven hair to the side. In return she looked up at him with her doe eyes and started to inch closer to his face. They meet mid way and that one passionate kiss led to another. Their lips lock in a dance few understand but it doesn’t matter. This is their moment, their time, and here nothing can separate them.

The rest night they talked and evaded the touchy subject of Bryan's return trip to New Jersey. Even up to the twilight hours, it was not until dawn of Sunday morning where the two reminded of what little time they have left together. Bryan has to be on his way back to his new home and it is also the same situation for Gwen. However they still took their time on packing up for they have every reason and intent to savor every seconds they have left together even the minutes that they do not have.

“We should get going, Gwen.” Bryan says underneath his breath while picking up the rest of his stuff.

Gwen looks up at Bryan from the floor and clenches her teeth. “ I know but I don't want to...”

“ I promise you I'll be back same place same time.” says Bryan

“yeah, only to leave once again the next day.” Gwen shortly replies.

The short brisk walk last night is now a slow and arduous journey back to the bus stop. Though the lack of sleep is just the tip of the iceberg as to why. For a few minutes the two sat and waited together then when the bus came no goodbyes where exchanged.

She takes his hands and pulls herself closer to Bryan and says “I don't want you to leave and I don't want you to let you go.”

“but-” Bryan tries to respond but was cut off by Gwen.

“so take this instead and go I'm not kissing you goodbye.” With those final words she hands Bryan an envelope.

Looking down at the envelope sealed with a kiss he gives her a note in return. He then looks up one last time at her before leaving. Then when the bus rolled out into the highway she just stood there. She just watched, smiled, then bowed her head down. Now that the bus is out of sight she quickly unfolded the piece of paper and read away the tears from her sad blue eyes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Gwen,

some nights when the skies are clear I look up and wonder. I wonder if you are also looking at the constellations and stars you passionately talked about on nights like these. I once can not fathom the thought of not having you by my side but now that I am miles away I now know the true meaning of loneliness and longing. Though I hope the feeling is still mutual I wish that you are not hurting as much as I am because I'd hate to be the reason for you to cry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gwen looked on blankly at the piece of paper and muttered to her self what she was wishing to tell Bryan the whole time. She felt stupid for forgetting to tell him after all the things they've talked about last night. However at least now she knows there is a next time, and another opportunity for her to muster up the strength to say it.

On the way back, Bryan, slept comfortably the during most the duration of the drive. However the uneasiness soon dawned on him for not more than just a few hours ago he was with Gwen. Now he is back to where he started and he is now also back to his usual self. A cold distant stranger, far from the Bryan that Gwen knows back in Allentown.

At the bus stop Bryan decided to sit down and have a moment to himself. He needed the second that way he can pinch himself to see if he is dreaming. After a few seconds of watching the cars pass by the cloudy Sunday afternoon he remembers the letter Gwen has given him. Without further hesitation he opened the letter and slowly read the letter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bryan,

When you said you we're coming to visit I got so excited. I finally get to see you again.

I'm so excited and at the same time scared. So I decided to write and give this to you that way if our date goes sour or I forget you'd be able to know. By the end of the year I'm moving away to Ontario Canada. It's gonna be far and with the way I feel about you this is gonna be hard. Don't be mad I really don't want to go but it's not like I can stay. Please reply as soon as you can.

I'm sorry...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With disbelief Bryan read the paper over and over again, but with every time he read her hand writing things only just got clearer. She was moving away by next year, and that the obstacles between them will only get bigger. Mixed with anger and disappointment he starts to walk back home.

“Hey, HEY KID, wait you dropped something.”

Bryan soon turned to the familiar voice it was, Lucy.