Chapter 4 - The Prisoner

He throws the book furiously. How could she?! He would end her if she didn’t mean so much to Eth. The boy has a heart far too big for the journey he must take. Lucipher furiously slams his hand against the mirror, smashing his perturbed reflection into bits before waving his hand and repairing the mirror so he can shatter it again. If only he could repair human souls so easily. He sinks tiredly into one of his favorite reading chairs, contemplating how to go about preparing the boy for what is to come.

He is once again filled with fury when he thinks of how the boy, Ethaniel, had been cursed with such a callous mother. He couldn’t fathom leaving one of his children so underprepared for such a dangerous mission. And they called him evil. These humans whose most disparate acts far out-class his. Their wide-spread corruption makes him fear for the race which he has fought so hard to save.

His mind flashes back to the girl in the church and her reaction to the conversion. She senses it. She’s the first in a long while who does from this town. He fears that perhaps she is the one he’s been searching so long for. But if she is, then he very-well may be too late to save her.

Rubbing a weary hand down his face, he closes his eyes and summons one of his men. Once he arrives, Lucipher points to the now-whole mirror, summoning an image of the girl.

“Watch her. Guard her. Report everything back to me.” His man bows and disappears from his sight. Sighing, Lucipher sits back in his chair and attempts to quiet his mind enough to solve his most recent dilemma.

~~~

She sits in her cell wondering about when her next meal might be, stomach rumbling with demand and sending pangs through her body when it receives no answer. She stares blindly at the walls and bars around her, listening to the scurrying of unknown creatures surrounding her. She tries desperately to recall what was so important for her to give up her freedom for, but can no longer recall anything more than the laughing of a child. She hears the jangling of keys coming closer to her prison and make a feeble attempt at sitting up, only to fall back limply, sapping the last of her strength.

The door to her cell opens slowly, a dim but still blinding light illuminating the silhouette of a man. He steps into her cell, closing the door behind him. As he strolls closer, she sees one of the most beautiful faces ever. His snow-like hair falls gracefully over a proud, masculine face. His piercing blue eyes search her face, filling with what she can only call despair when he fails to find the desired reaction. Turning on his heal, he walks back to the door of her cage, not saying a word. She attempts to call out to him, but can only manage a small whimper. He looks at her piteously as he leaves her cell, a pained smile gracing his gorgeous face as the door closes once more, leaving her to suffer alone.

She curls tighter into a ball, trying harder to recall how she got here only to be greeted by mental silence. Slowly, she allows herself to slip back into the peaceful oblivion of the dream world, thankful for at least a moment of respite, no matter how false it may be.